CP2 September 2018 Paper 1

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Christoforos Georgiou, Jul 14, 2021.

1. I am checking my excel model against the sample model from the solutions and I can't understand why the price per age group for scenario 3 is calculated this way (in the charts worksheet) . It looks like in the sample solution, the price charged per day for scenario 3 is calculated by adding the daily fee + base charge per activity * multiplier. What doesn't seem right to me is that the activities are not daily and hence adding the base charge per activity to determine the daily fee doesn't make sense. (there are 8 activities per month, not 20). I tried to check this by multiplying the daily fee by the number of children and the total income from fee and activities does not match this. Can someone explain why the calculation is this way in the sample solution? Or does anyone know whether the sample solution is incorrect?

2. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Christoforos

I've had a look at this paper and the spreadsheet model and I think I agree with you that the cost looks too high in scenario 3. As you suggest, I think it should be adjusted for the cost of 8 activities a month being spread over 20 days fees, rather than an activity each day.

I hope this helps. More generally, errors in the spreadsheet model are unlikely to make the difference between passing and failing. It is more important to do something sensible and document it in the audit trail within the time of the exam.

Good luck with your revision
    Sarah

Christoforos Georgiou likes this.
  3. Hi Sarah

Thank you for your response, this does help, I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

4. I have following queries pertaining to CP2 module:
    i) I want more clarity on difference between Narrative and descriptive style of writing.
    ii) What is the exact meaning of "Next steps".
    Is it recommendation OR any more analysis that could be performed given more time on hand?
    iii) Is recommendation a part of conclusion?

5. DamienW

DamienW Member

Hi Sarah, I have a few questions relating to the model solution s/s.

On Projection_30 hours sheet, both cell B1 and B2 has adjusted from the original scenario (i.e. different to the Projection_15 hours worksheet).
    • But why only cell B1 is highlighted in orange?
    • More generally, if we copy over a worksheet from the original scenario, do we need to colour highlight all adjustments on the alternative scenario worksheet, or just highlight a few important/complex changes?
    • In the audit trail, do we need to deliberately write down cell B1 is coloured in orange?
    Cell B4 on Projection_30 hours sheet and cell I1 on Additional activities sheet are determined by using the Goal Seek function, but only the latter one highlighted by green colour. Why?

Many thanks

6. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Cells that are dangerous, risky, one-offs, potential areas for error, manual inputs or alterations should be highlighted. You will certainly find past solutions that don't stick to this principle. However, it is safer to do so.
    Yes, it would be more consistent to highlight cell B2 as well.
    It would be good practice to highlight all of the adjustments.
    Adding a "spreadsheet conventions" section to your audit trail would be sufficient to explain why the cells were orange.
    Yes, it would be more consistent to highlight cell B4 as well.