1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Cost of assa

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by Sid Dagore, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Sid Dagore

Sid Dagore Member

About 4 years ago I was standing with a group of actuarial students in wits with the actuarial program coordinator there, who is now heavily involved with assa's education scheme. We were complaining how if you price all the uk materials and exams in rands, the price becomes prohibitive (at least from a students point of view). He agreed, and said that's why we need a local qualification.

Just looking at the prices of the courses for the ASSA SA-level exams, with a nice price tag of R10k, and the fact that the exams are the same price as the UK exams(if I'm not mistaken), I just can't help but wonder what exactly happened to the noble visions of a SA qualification!!!!!

Does anyone know if the whole ASSA bussiness can just be ignored altogether and all of one's qualification can be through the UK?

2. tatos

tatos Member

As far as I know we'll still be able to do the UK exams. I'm not switching to ASSA even if I have to go to another country to write the UK exams.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

tatos, you got it all right. There is very little transparency in ASSA. You have to guess how they work!

Apart from the fact that they never send a letter acknowledging receipt of my hard earned money.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  4. Nevin

Nevin Member

i was made to understand that the exams are the same, and exam dates the same...
    and my calcs have shown that assa is more expensive, so am sticking to FoA...