CM2 for Apr 2019 sitting

Discussion in 'CM2' started by tess, Sep 27, 2018.

1. tess

tess Member

Hi all,

I'm keen to start studying a bit earlier for CM2 (formerly CT8) as it is generally thought to be one of the hardest CT exams.

In the subject outline, it says:
    "Assessment: Combination of a computer-based modelling assignment and a three-hour written examination."

When and how exactly is the assessment for the computer-based modelling assignment undertaken? As I'm located in Australia, should I be contacting the Actuaries Institute in Australia for further details?

If you're studying CM2 for Apr 2019, feel free to send me a message. It'd be great to have some company along the way.

2. AlexLky

AlexLky Very Active Member

Hi Tess,

I am sitting CM2 the next sitting as well, and I am looking to do a similar thing to you (by starting the revision process early). I would be interested to know the answer to your question as well, I am in the Cayman Islands so I believe that the time slot given to the computer based aspect of CM2 will be in the middle of the night for me.

Have you sat CT9 (Soon to be CB3) and the OPAT yet? I am deciding whether doing the OPAT + CT9 as well as CM2 will be a manageable additional workload.

3. tess

tess Member

I'm not required to sit CT9 (CB3) and the OPAT - just looked it up as I've never seen it mentioned on the Australian site. Sorry I can't help you out there!

4. AlexLky

No problem. I think they sound pretty trivial anyway. Have you ordered the study material etc for CM2?

5. Ace123

Ace123 Member

CT9 is very straight forward, as was the OPAT from what I can remember, like you don't need to do any study, it's just discussion based stuff, so it's more than manageable - you could do another CM with them.

Just to add I would be more concerned about the inability of the institute to hold online exams. In the 3/4 years that CA2/CA3/CP3 have been held online, I don't think there has been on session with no problems. There have been years where exams had to be resit as they platform is that bad - so I dunno how they are going to guarantee a working platform come April next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2018
  6. AlexLky

Thanks for the advice Ace, although these are my last CTs and the CAs (soon to be CPs) seem to have quite a lot of volume to them, I don't know whether sitting CM2 and a CP would be smart (especially considering these are the first of these exams under the new syllabus). As you said they could have a ton of complications with the online aspect of them, especially for us overseas!

7. tess

tess Member

Will shortly order. Was debating whether to wait for the exam results for Sep 2018 but I think I'd better get on with CM2 prep...

8. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Well CP3 has been in for the last few sittings, plus I don't think there is much work required for them.

9. Planning on sitting this in September 2019 if all goes well, I was thinking about sitting it in April but figured CS2 might be a better bet first.

10. AlexLky

For CP3? The historical pass rate seemed low so I assumed it would be challenging. I haven't really looked into it all that much I just know there is an element of presentation.

11. Ace123

Ace123 Member

There is no presentation in CP3, and I think the pass rates have been quite good.
    You may be thinking of CA3, but that's being replaced by CP3 since September 2017.

12. AlexLky

Apologies you're correct. I will look into maybe sitting this as well, thanks for the insight!

13. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

Here is the email correspondence that confirms everyone sits the online exams in UK time, how convenient for Eurasia!

14. tess

tess Member

Thank you, I will ask my local (Australian) institute about this!

15. AlexLky

Ouch and for us here near US, looking forward to sitting CM2B at 3am my time :)

16. Ace123

Ace123 Member

I know it is already this way for CA2 and CP3, so they would have to be the same for the other exams, or else have a different paper.

17. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Do we know when the notes for both the written and online part will be released?
    I'm trying to decide what exams to do and finding out that some papers won't be released for another month is annoying

18. cm16

cm16 Keen member

I received my CS2 notes last week, and access to the online resources for the R element too. The formatting of the CMP has changed

19. tess

tess Member

Bump - with exam results having been released recently, I'll definitely be sitting CM2 in April. Any other people studying so we can partner up and discuss? I've almost finished Part 1 which seems like where the easy marks are. Anticipate the other parts getting harder!

Re: what time to sit the exam - in Australia the times have been released and they just say morning/afternoon.
    https://actuaries.asn.au/studying-with-the-institute/part-i/key-dates

20. AlexLky

Hey Tess! I'd be keen to partner up. I am only three chapters in currently as work has been busy but hoping to take a bigger dive into it this month. Happy to discuss stuff on here or any other alternative... let me know!

21. jamesysilber

jamesysilber Keen member

Hey Tess, adding on to morning/afternoon sessions, as per here https://www.actuaries.asn.au/studying-with-the-institute/part-i/examinations, the morning exams start at 9:15am and afternoon exams start at 2pm.

Hope that helps,

James