1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CM1 Paper B Sept 2020 Qu1

Discussion in 'CM1' started by s1645544, Apr 1, 2022.

1. s1645544

s1645544 Active Member

Hi,

I am struggling to get my head around this question so have a question to hopefully help me understand.

Does the 'actual investment return achieved in the calendar year' replace i in the recursive formula?

How it is best to approach / think about this question.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

This is a tough question! You're right about replacing i in the recursive reserve formula with the actual investment returns.

The way I did this was to set up a table a little bit like you would for a conventional profit test and then use the retrospective recursive reserve formula:

upload_2022-4-4_10-20-28.png

Where CF(t+1) is the cashflow for policy year t+1 per policy in force at the start of that year (ie time t).

The above formula is taken from the recursive calculation of reserves guidance available on the PBOR in Part 5 of the course.

We want the retrospective formula (rather than prospective) because the insurance company wants to look back at how much it's accumulated during the policy in order to determine the terminal bonus amount.

s1645544 likes this.
  3. s1645544

s1645544 Active Member

Thanks very much!