Choosing Ito Functions

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Pete Maizonnier, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Pete Maizonnier

Pete Maizonnier Made first post

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind the choice of (Ito) function to apply to Ito processes to solve SDE's, or is it just a case of learning the standard ones?

For example, in April 2014 ASET Q5 part ii), why do we let f(t) = exp{at}r(t)?

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Pete,

Easy answer... Yes, just learn them.
    If you see geo BM, eg dFt = 27Ft dt +4 Ft dZt, always start with d(ln Ft).
    If you see OU process, eg dQt = 27Qt dt+ 4 dZt, always start with d(Qt e^-27t).
    If you see OU process with an extra deterministic bit floating about, eg dQt = 5 dt + 27Qt dt+ 4 dZt, still always start with d(Qt e^-27t).
    THE END, go and pass your exam.

However, more interesting answer, in terms of the logic...

Divide dFt = 27Ft dt +4 Ft dZt by Ft...
    dFt / Ft = 27dt +4 dZt
    Oh look, dFt / Ft, differential of something over itself, that's differentiating log of a function, isn't it? Nearly, it doesn't quite work out like that when Ft is a stochastic quantity but it sure gives us a good idea of what the answer might be close to. I know, let's work out d(ln Ft) and see what happens.

The logic on dQt = 27Qt dt+ 4 dZt would be similar. Oh look, I can use an integrating factor here, e^-27t, which is, of course, product rule backwards. I know, let's work out d(Qt e^-27t) and see what happens.

Good luck!
    John

Nivedita Paul likes this.