1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 8: CP1-08 Bond and money markets

Discussion in 'CP1' started by yuli2513, Dec 5, 2021.

1. yuli2513

yuli2513 Very Active Member

Hi,

The question is on page 23 and the answer is given on page 25.

I do not understand the 6th bullet point given in the answer: issuer exercises an option against the investor

I find the call option (whether it exists) irrelevant of the question asked. Because the question only asks to discuss the potential reasons of not being able to get 5.5% pa return from the bond, so other instrument (e.g. a call option) should not be relevant.

I am wondering if this is the right way to think for this type of questions, or do I miss something here?

Thanks a lot!

2. Richie Holway

Richie Holway ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Yuli,

I assume you're referring to Question 8.2. As the question doesn't mention the specifics of the bond, it is possible that the bond is one with option features, and this is what the final point in the solution covers. For example, it might be that the issuer of the bond has the option to repay it at any time, and exercising the option can be described as the issuer exercising a call option against the investor, as per the point in the solution.

So, in this context, the 'call option' is referring to a callable bond, rather than a different instrument to the bond. Callable bonds (and bonds with other option features) are covered in Chapter 12, Section 4.

Kind regards,
    Richie

yuli2513 likes this.
  3. yuli2513

yuli2513 Very Active Member

Thank you very much Richie, and my apologies for forgetting to include the question number, hope that didn't cause you trouble locating the question.