1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 16: 2.2 Example assessment

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Ayushi Arora, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Ayushi Arora

Ayushi Arora Very Active Member

Hi,
    Please help me understand why we are using April, July, October and January next year dividend yield to calculate investment income for the year?
    Based on my understanding we should have used this year January, April, July and October dividend yield. The investment income should be based on quarter start market value , right?
    Also , Please help me understand the three note bullet points just after the calculation of investment income of first three months.

Thanks
    A

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,

Dividend yields are expressed relative to the value of the index at the time of assessment. For more on this see 'Yield adjustment' on page 11 of chapter 15 which says the income received over the 12 months prior to time t is:

I(t) x yt

Where yt is the dividend yield at time t and I(t) is the value of the index at time t.

I know that might initially seem a little strange but that is convention.

In terms of the 3 bullet points, we are assuming that the income is received at the end of each quarter when in fact for most indices of a reasonable size, dividends will be received fairly continuously. Therefore, we are making no allowance for any additional return that could be achieved by investing money earlier.

The second bullet points is essentially explaining the approach outlined above, that we apply the dividend yield to the value of the index on the same dates.

The third bullet point: Dividend yields are annual but we are working quarterly. Therefore, when we divide the dividend yield by 4 we are making an assumption that the income over the previous 12 months has been evenly spread. In practice it won't be but it's a reasonable approximation and it's all that we've got. If we knew exactly what the income had been in each quarter then we could do something more accurate.

Hope this helps.
    Joe