CERA seminar

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Viki2010, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, I have recently passed ST9. Can I please check how often does CERA seminar run?
    I believe it is now fully booked until the end of the year based on the info on the IOA website.
    I also understand that having passed an ST9, I can go ahead and register for CERA seminar....ie. do not have to be FIA or AIA yet for attending CERA seminar.

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks Simon. How many CERA seminars are run in a year? All are fully booked at the moment.....

4. Simon James

HI - I'm sorry, I don't know - ActEd are not involved in these. I'd have to look at the IFoA website myself!

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks Simon, I was hoping to hear from people's experience. The IOA website is not very informative. It only says that all CERA seminars are fully booked until the end of the year.

6. LMac

LMac Member

Hi Viki,

I contacted the CERA mailbox regarding any more planned dates for 2018. They don’t intend to host any new CERA seminars in 2018, but they plan to release new dates for 2019 in the next few months (no specific date as to when they will do that). They will release an email before the dates go live.

Unfortunately my company is not sponsoring the course so I have to finance it myself. Can any other forum users share if their company is sponsoring their attendance at the CERA course?

7. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi LMac, I've also been in contact with IOA now about the CERA seminar. Indeed, no chance on getting in for 2018. I should hear more within a few weeks.
    I will be paying myself and hoping for January :)

See you there!

8. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I also started wondering what is the actual value of the CERA qualification. I have not seen any job adds asking for it.

9. Simon James

10. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I think that CERA without the actual work experience in risk does not have value. An actuarial student should aim to get into risk before qualifying as CERA which may be difficult in practice.

11. Simon James

Might be a controversial view, but I think all actuaries work in risk in one way or another.

Ppan13 likes this.