1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceasing membership

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by capitalH, Oct 26, 2009.

1. capitalH

capitalH Member

I am currently a member of ASSA as well as the FoA.

I am considering ceasing my membership to FoA, because of the 2010 developments.

Is anyone else in the same boat? What are you going to do?

I do not see any benefit of remaining with FoA, as we cannot earn the FoA status after 2010, except for having access to the Actuarial Directory (which can be a curse more than a blessing...).

2. Sid Dagore

Sid Dagore Member

I'm also in the same boat.
    I don't really have any interest in dealing with assa, and I cant see any benefit in having a South African qualification if I could have had an English one!

What I'd really like to know is what will happen if I drop my assa membership :p

3. I have attempted CA1, ST1 and ST2 but have failed them a few times. I am undecided about writing the South African exams as I wouldn't want to study a new subject from scratch. Will the UK exams still be offered here in South Africa?

4. Goku

Goku Member

Well, I'm a member of the Institute, and will continue writing my boards through them. If my company permits, then I'll continue my membership with ASSA as well - which at the moment I have very little regard for, since they always leave me out of their correspondance emails/newsletters depsite always paying my fees on time!!! Muppets!

Also, our company's exam remuneration policy is based on the UK system. So I'll just be complicating things if I decide to write the SA exams ;)

5. Goku

Goku Member

Yeah, they should still be offered. I think assa.org.za will have all the FAQ's on this subject though.

What really irks me now is that actuarial exams will no longer be held in Durban which is where I work. I'll have to go to JHB to write them - and ofcourse I'll have to fly up the "night" before the exam, which is when I get a large amount of work consolidated!

6. capitalH

capitalH Member

Maybe I should consider sitting the UK exams as well, since I want to do ST9 in any case (currently outside the scope of the SA offering).

7. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

I think a wait and see attitude is good. Defer the decision for a year and see how it plays out over the year. There are a number of questions still to be answered. Anyone have an idea how the employers are viewing this?