CB1 balance sheet related questions in excel not allowed?

Discussion in 'CB1' started by Erika, Sep 9, 2020.

?

Do you use currently use Excel to practice balance sheet questions?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Erika

Erika Member

Hi everyone,

For the September 2020 sitting new guidance has been released about the use of Excel...

Can I use Excel to help construct my answers?
    Most of the examination subjects require the answers to be provided in Microsoft Word. The exceptions to this are CP2, CM1 Paper B and CM2 Paper B which require the use of Excel. When sitting other subjects, you may wish to use Excel to aid with calculations. It should be noted however that any calculations have to be typed in full into your Word answer script to ensure you receive full marks.  Calculations that are copied and pasted from Excel (or any other application) into your Word answer script will receive zero marks.

For the CS and CM exam papers, the level of detail that is required for your workings in calculation questions is similar to the model solutions in previous sittings. If you miss out any of the calculation steps then full marks may not be awarded.

.... I have been practicing all my balance sheet questions in Excel and have gotten use to the format. I was wondering if you have interpreted the above guidelines to mean we are forbidden from using excel and pasting or screenshotting calculations over? and if this is the case, what are you doing? Balance sheet questions in word are just not the same... and you cannot really take advantage of doing quick sums...

rebster likes this.
  2. rebster

rebster Member

From my understanding we can't copy and past from excel nor can we screenshot. I've been practicing on word and I just use the tab key to enter the figures on the right side of the page. As for being unable to do calculations on excel, you're right, we just have to learn how to be quick with the calculator! Good luck :)