1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

can I take CT 9 ???

Discussion in 'CT9' started by c.neo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. c.neo

c.neo Member

Hi,

I am now working in an Asia city as a clerk in an insurance company.
    I started to work in June.
    The work I am carrying out is not actuarial work.

I gained over 10 exemptions from my university.

I will join the Institute in this October.

Can I apply for the CT9 exam once I join the Institute?
    Can I apply for the CT9 exam 6 months after this October (after I join the Institute)?

2. bystander

bystander Member

The recommended timing is within 18 months of joining the profession and you must be certified as ready by your employer. Thats the only eligibility criteria I know of.

3. c.neo

c.neo Member

My work is not related to actuarial work, but i work in an insurance company.

Do you think my boss will think i am "certified"?

4. bystander

bystander Member

Can't really say. Depends on how he rates your work but most probably he'd say yes. You'll just have to wave the form at him and ask, though if he isn't in the profession he may ask questions around whats it all about.

If he feels uncomfortable for any reason, have a chat with the Institute and see if there is a way round it in your circumstances.

5. c.neo

c.neo Member

Hi,

I have another question.

There is an underwriter who provides me with training.
    There is a manager in my team.
    The is a senier manager in my team.
    The is a "head" in my department.

Should I ask the underwriter?
    Or someone else?

6. bystander

bystander Member

All shouls have enough standing for the profession not to be concerned. Start with the one you have most day to day contact with and/or sees your work most. If one says no, try another.

7. c.neo

c.neo Member

The underwriter, who provides me with training, sees my work most.
    He just sits next to me in our office.

However, he is not a senior person in the company, ie not a manager.

Is the underwriter suitable ?

8. bystander

bystander Member

Send a mail to the Institute to be absolutely certain. But I can't see why not.
    Its unlikely anyone reading this will have a concrete answer for you.

Remember they won't let you take this until you are a member of the Profession so if you haven't jumped that hurdle, better sort that first

9. didster

didster Member

You also need to register a supervisor for WBS - you need at least 3 years of experience before you can become a Fellow and I think they don't allow you sit exams if you haven't done this.
    Would make sense for the same person to sign off on both, so kill two birds with the same stone.

10. c.neo

c.neo Member

sorry

what is "WBS" ?

I know that I need to have 3 years of actuarial work, otherwise I can't qualify as a fellow.
    However, I am now working in the underwriting department only.

Now, I just want to take CT9 in advance.
    I am actively seeking to transfer to the actuarial department.

11. didster

didster Member

WBS = Work based skills
    You need to register a supervisor - at one point they didn't allow students to sit exams if they didn't do this. At the very least you'll need to inform them that you are deferring it.
    And maintain a learning log over at least 3 years.

It doesn't necessarily have to be strictly actuarial work (at least for some of the first 3 years I think), as many of the skills they want you to develop are transferable, eg communication, management, and IT, so it may be a good idea to at least try to get a head start with your current role. Some skills are actuarial though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010