1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Call/put option formulae and physical interpretation

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Furiously_treading_water, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Furiously_treading_water

Furiously_treading_water Active Member

I'm revisiting this exam having taken CT8 quite a while ago - at the time I took an ActEd tutorial at which I recall the tutor really helpfully identifying what the different parts of the equation correspond to. It was something like (e.g. for a call)
    ct= (St component: share price with the probability that it'll move interestingly) - (K component: strike price discounted, also adjusted by some probability term).

Following on from that, I suspect these go on to have a physical interpretation in terms of the replicating portfolio of the option.

Unsurprisingly, I only vaguely recall this and I think it's a) not in the notes, b) has been the key to answering an exam question before.
    Has anyone come across this and know the interpretations?

2. Furiously_treading_water

Furiously_treading_water Active Member

Helpful update for the internet:
    K component corresponds to present value of a fixed payment of K (either to or fro, depending on call/put) at time T, depending on the value of underlying share price St. This came up in CT8 S11 Q8. Among other places.