1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CA3 April 2008 exam - second question

Discussion in 'CA3' started by the_mighty_onion, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Q2 here contained a lot of calculations that had been supplied by a "junior actuary".

However, unlike past exam questions where we were told that we could assume that all supplied data was correct, there was no such reassurance in this exam. I did check thoroughly for this.

Now, in the office I would normally check calculations that had been passed to me. However, in the exam there wasn't the time to do this: I didn't check the supplied calculations and still only managed to finish about 30 seconds before the end of the exam.

My question is: should we be generally assuming the validity of pre-completed calculations that are supplied to us in the CA3 exam, when there is no explicit indication by the examiners that they are correct? It seems more professional to me to check the supplied calculations, but I am disinclined to do this in the exam given the time pressure.

Of course, fingers crossed, I've hopefully passed which will make this question somewhat academic from my point of view. I'm not hopeful, however, given the very poor historical pass rates in this subject.

[ One other point: there seems to be a preponderance of pensions-related questions in the CA3 examinations. Does anyone else share this viewpoint? As an actuary working in general insurance, I would have liked to see some GI questions here. We are just as likely to face communication-related demands in this field as those working in the fields of pensions and investment. ]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  2. A further thought occurs to me. What about those who did spend time checking the supplied calculations (which may have taken perhaps 20 minutes) and may not have finished the exam as a consequence?

If the intention on the part of the examiners was for us to assume that the calculations were correct, and they simply failed to add this assurance to the exam, then are these candidates not being unfairly penalised?

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

No, the candidates are being fairly punished for fighting the exam (& the examiners)! Cooperate to pass and do what is required to pass.

Esselte likes this.
  4. Esselte

Esselte Member

Speedy reply:)

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

I completely agree. Must wonder what competencies this assessment is testing?