1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

available capital vs required capital

Discussion in 'SA2' started by yogesh167, Apr 22, 2019.

1. yogesh167

yogesh167 Member

Hello

During SA2 April 2019 attempt, it was written in the question that capital margin is difference between required capital and available capital. There were follow up question parts under the same on movement of capital margin.

I believe that available capital should be greater than required capital, but due to the way it was framed in the question, I used capital margin as required capital less available capital instead of available capital less required capital.

Could you please express your views on the same as which should be the correct statement.

Thanks in advance
    Yogesh

2. Maxit

Maxit Member

I interpreted it as available less required capital because the question mentioned it was a SII company, but the question was really not worded well

3. Darshana

Darshana Member

Neither was question 2, which I thought was significantly more difficult than the first! I also interpreted capital margin as available less required capital given that the company was operating under SII.

Maxit likes this.
  4. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Yogesh,

If it brings you comfort expressing capital margin as required capital less available capital shouldn’t change the interpretation of your results (ie a negative result is a healthy outcome for a firm) and you (still) would’ve been able to generate the relevant marks :).

In this sense, there isn’t a ‘correct statement’.

5. smSA2

smSA2 Keen member

I interpreted available capital as own funds or assets (excess of assets over liabilities) available to cover the required capital. Therefore, Capital margin = Available capital - Required Capital.
    This seemed to be the most practical definition to me for the purpose of this question.

6. yogesh167

yogesh167 Member

Thanks for confirmation.

But there was a follow up question asking that:
    The company has planned to hold low capital margin in future. Why would company prefer holding lower capital margin?

So does my answer using capital margin equal to RC - AC still holds here?
    What do you think?

7. yogesh167

yogesh167 Member

Please find the screen shot from the question below:
    upload_2019-4-24_15-51-13.png

So does my answer using capital margin equal to RC - AC still holds here?
    What do you think?

8. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Yogesh,

The follow up questions are qualitative in nature (ie there are unlikely to be marks in this part of the marking schedule for your capital margin equation).

Provided you wrote your points the ‘right way round’, eg in (v) why running with a low buffer above the RC could be risky then you should be fine.

9. Maxit

Maxit Member

Yogesh, how do you have a screenshot of the question?

10. yogesh167

yogesh167 Member

the exam paper is available on website....

Maxit likes this.
  11. yogesh167

yogesh167 Member

Actually I have assumed that capital margin is equal to required capital minus available capital in the above part of the question. So here I explained the risks of having required capital a little above than available capital.

So does it make sense?

12. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Marks will be awarded based on the marking schedules.

The SA may give some marks for reasonable points not on the marking scheme. But in the spirit of helpfulness and honesty, I suspect a number of your comments are unlikely to be on the marking scheme. For eg, it isn’t immediately obvious to me why a firm would knowingly wish to hold insufficient assets to meet its SCR. I suspect an actuary who made such an argument in practice would come under a lot of professional scrutiny.

13. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

how did u find the exam under the new syllabus? was it materially different than previous exams ?

D