1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

April 2017 Q10i

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Edward Smith, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Edward Smith

Edward Smith Active Member

I am struggling to get my head round the inflation trending in this calculation. In the aset solution an index is created whereby we trend product recall by a factor of 0.98^2.5
    My understanding was that when we trend inflation to the midpoint of the exposure period, it was based on the fact that policies on average are written midway through year (or is it when the inflation occurs?). Hence, midpoint of period 4 to midpoint of period 6 should be 0.98^2. (I understand that this form of solution was accepted just want to wrap my head round the intuition of 0.98^2.5)

2. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Hi Edward

The policy starts from the beginning of each year since it's just being issued to a single pharmaceutical company. What we are trying to project is the claims cost in year 6 so we can assume
    1. the product recall happened and will happen on average mid-year, and
    2. inflation continues into year 6 at the rate it was at the end of year 5.
    For year 3 the product recall happened averagely at mid-year so the cost needs to be trended for a half year to the end of year 3 at 0% inflation then deflated at 2% for 2.5 years to mid-year year 6.