Apr 2018 exam

Discussion in 'SP1' started by actman, Apr 30, 2018.

1. actman

actman Member

What do you guys think about the exam?
    I think for some parts of the non-bookwork questions, it is hard to generate enough points to obtain full marks. I felt the exam is harder compared to Sep 2017 diet so hopefully the pass mark is not higher than 55?

2. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

Apart from the few bookwork marks, I also thought it was harder - didn’t feel as straightforward as the previous exam to adapt lists to a question. I heard other students at my exam also mention that they just didn’t know where they performed well or poorly in the exam ... hoping everyone else felt like this

3. Lewin

Lewin Member

I think the only difficult question for someone who had really studied hard was the question on self health assessment.
    I struggled with qtn 3 and 4, and was running out of time badly towards the end of the paper,so I did not really give qtn 5 my best effort.
    Qtn 1,2,6 were okay IMO.

4. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

Just had a first look at the paper since the exam and don't think it was as bad as I thought initially. It was incredibly "product features" heavy though - which I think is a bit disappointing. I mean, there's so much that doesn't seem to have been tested directly and that a lot of us would have spent hours and hours learning. Oh well, such is life..

And also realising there seems to have been more bookwork types of marks in this paper than in the previous - although a good portion of these marks were for more obscure parts of the reading like the budget PMI products. Struggled to generate enough points in this question. And wow, question number 4 was horrible actually - suspect and hope that most people found it tough.

5. actman

actman Member

Can't agree more with Geraldine that this paper tested heavily on "product features".

I agree with Lewin and Geraldine on question 4 as well. And guess what, it's worth 19 marks!!! Especially in part a, I don't understand what the examiners are really testing the students for. Why would a 9-mark question ask about the available service at a wellness centre? What actuarial knowledge is involved here? I hope someone could shed some lights on this.

6. Lewin

Lewin Member

Hi guys,
    How did it go?
    Managed to pass,although I suspect I was on the borderline,having struggled with the difficult qtn 4 and leaving out half of question 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

Congrats Lewin, I also managed to pass thankfully. I think I might have been borderline too, so looking forward to seeing the result letter (on that though, I just don't get why the letters aren't released at the same time - as if we haven't waited long enough)

Commiserations to those who didn't manage to get through this time..

8. Lewin

Lewin Member

Congratulations
    Congratulations mate.
    I'm writing SA1 in September but I'm worried as there isn't ASET and revision notes and these have been my bread and butter.

9. actman

actman Member

Congrats both of you Lewin and Geraldine. I guess I am the odd one out this time though I thought if I passed, it would have been a borderline as well. Good luck on your next exams!