Answering Diagram Questions in Word

Discussion in 'CB2' started by Justin Pang, Sep 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Justin Pang

Justin Pang Member

In past papers, there are usually a handful of questions that require sketching a graph or curve (e.g. effect of tax on consumer and producer surplus). With the paper now online and being completed in Word, what should our approach be for creating diagrams?

Thanks.

2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Justin

I would not expect you to have to produce a graph in your answer booklet / MS Word doc. The IFoA's frequently asked questions page on it's website says:

Will I have to study new material for the online examinations?
    Updated 03 September 2020

No. The syllabus and core reading for all subjects remains the same for 2020. The only difference is the format of the examination papers, which the examiners have carefully adapted so that they can be answered using Word or Excel. There will be no requirement to prepare other materials such as graphs.

The IFoA have confirmed to us that this statement means that in CB2 in the September exams there will be no requirement to draw graphs, diagrams, sketches etc in your answer booklet.

However, as you imply, it can often be very important to draw a diagram in order to work out the correct answer to, say, a multi-choice question. So I would recommend that you still practice drawing diagrams and are prepared to do this on paper.

I hope that helps

Gresham

3. Justin Pang

Justin Pang Member

Thanks Gresham, much appreciated.

4. Nidhi Goel

Nidhi Goel Made first post

Can we use drawing tools in the word to draw graphs?

5. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

As per Gresham's reply (above), you will not need to submit diagrams in the exam.

You may want to sketch a few to help with MCQs, but you can do this most easily on a piece of paper.

Anna