1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Actuaries in unconventional fields

Discussion in 'Careers' started by slayedit, Mar 23, 2018.

1. slayedit

slayedit Member

Hi,

I was going through the list of practice areas in which actuaries can work, and three of ones that struck me most were Finance, Investments and energy.

What roles do actuaries play in these fields?
    Any tips for young minds who are starting off their career now would be of great help!

Thanks & Regards,
    slayedit

2. slayedit

slayedit Member

Any insights on this from any senior or experienced persons?

Or else, can you connect me with someone in the same field so that i may know more. Kindly message me if you are willing.

Thanks,
    regards
    sD

3. Uroš

Uroš Member

Actuaries can do anything as long as it has to with some kind of predictive models. Any of the fields you mention are included.
    However, you might not be called an actuary anymore :). Maybe becoming a FIA gives you the right to call yourself an actuary irrespective of your area of work.

4. slayedit

slayedit Member

So is actuarial science all about predictive modeling?

Institute's website does not say so. They have written that actuaries can work in finance field as well, and do work like financial reporting. This does not really require any predictive modeling!

Here's the link to the IFoA's website for work area of Finance and Investments:
    https://www.actuaries.org.uk/practice-areas/finance-and-investment/about-finance-and-investment

Would like to hear from you!
    Thanks anyway!

Regards,
    Shyam

5. Uroš

Uroš Member

I do not know a lot of people who would aspire to work in financial reporting. Actuaries are mostly used to provide the results from the models to be able to fill the reporting templates with numbers :).

slayedit likes this.