Actuaries in Investment banking

Discussion in 'SA6' started by slayedit, Dec 14, 2017.

1. slayedit

slayedit Member

Hi all,
    I have a few doubts regarding the two fields of job.

1) Is actuarial knowledge used in investment banking field?
    2) If we are working in investment banking, will papers ST5 (Finance and Investment A), ST6(Finance and Investment B) and SA6 (Investment) be the specialization papers needed? (along with other papers)
    3) Is fellowship granted to those working in the field of investment banking?

Thank you for your insights.
    Regards,
    slayedit

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, Certainly the most relevant ST subjects for anyone wanting to go into investment banking would be ST5 and ST6. ST6 is not generally required for the later subjects - neither for SA5 nor for SA6. ST5 feeds into both of those later subjects. In terms of which SA subject to do for an investment banking career, it is hard to say. Both contain useful areas, and SA6 is at the moment angled towards the work of an investment consultant (ALM, structured products, manager selection, LDI, ...) whereas an investment banker would be likely to get involved in more corporate and banking deals. However, given that both SA5 and SA6 are merging into SA7 in the near future, it may not be a big decision in a few months. If you were confident in passing SA5 within the two sittings left (March 2018 and Sept 2018) then it may be more relevant in terms of material. I feel that whichever SA you pass, if you are the right candidate and you present well at an interview for the job, the exact SA you have passed will not be the deciding factor. I hope this helps.