1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Actuarial Training Office

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by capitalH, Dec 9, 2009.

1. capitalH

capitalH Member

Any thoughts now that the details are available?

SA qualification is looking less enticing for me, with every bit of information that is given out.

2. Sid Dagore

Sid Dagore Member

I looked briefly at the email.

I am not going to even consider the ASSA route. What is the general consensus among students/actuaries and the employers?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  3. capitalH

capitalH Member

I spoke to someone who wrote CT1 in September, and he said the exam centre was full. If I look at the results http://www.actuarialsociety.org.za/Results-494.aspx
    I see that only 15 chose to register with ASSA.

And since it is CT1, I can only assume none (or very few) of the others needed CT1 to qualify before the end of 2009, so the ASSA route does not seem very popular.

4. Looks like most employers are only going to sponsor the South African exams. Also they are only going to pay for ASSA membership fees.

5. capitalH

capitalH Member

Wow!

An advantage to being the only actuarial student in your company! My company pays what I ask them to pay, they are currently unaware of the ASSA route (and currently they pay both ASSA and the Faculty membership fees).

6. capitalH

capitalH Member

Based on the quotes, and the attendance at other subjects (CA3=4 rooms full, ASSA=11) it seems that everyone has not yet switched?

Anyone else here being forced by their employer to switch?

I think those of us at smaller companies may get away with not switching.

7. I actually think it's a requirement if your company is registered as an ATO. I think part of the agreement states that students at the ATO should be encouraged (i.e "forced") into writing the ASSA exams

8. capitalH

capitalH Member

Luckily I have not registered as an ATO. Now, it is even more unlikely that I will.

9. If your company is not registered as an ATO then you won't be able to get Work Based Skills through ASSA

10. capitalH

capitalH Member

True, which is part of the plethora of reasons why I am not going to consider qualifying through ASSA.