1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Actuarial Science PGDip or LSE MSc

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Matthew Ashikhin, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And if I want to stay in the UK? Would the CFA be the way to go.

2. Null

Null Member

I’m not an expert on the CFA. Can’t tell you. But what I can say is that it takes far less time than the Actuarial qualification. Study is about the same. Studied many times with CFA students who do about 3 or 4 months each time. They only have to do it once a year though. Not twice.

3. The difficulty for some came when they were kicked out of the IAI 2 days before the exam because the UK body instructed the IAI to discriminate against British nationals.

As for passing without failing, I was informed by my old line manager that around 5% of students complete all of the 15 exams without failing. 5% !!!!

4. The salaries have gone down over the years. Not up. A student with the 100 series in 2002 could get £60k. Now a qualified gets around £45-50k.

Could you imagine if the medical profession behaved like the corrupt actuarial profession.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  5. Null

Null Member

The IFOA had to remove their statements about 3 years qualification time as hardly anyone passes all exams first time. What they currently say is also not true. Phone them and ask them about their drop out rates or realistic qualification times. See what answer you get... I would also not recommend starting exams if you are an older student. By the way there are not 15 exams anymore, there are 17

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Content drifted away from OP, to things discussed extensively elsewhere. Hence time to close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.