1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

A deep lingering urge to finish exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Edwin, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

Who else feels a deep desire to finish the exams and wants to share their journey?

I feel an unsual sense of urgency to wrap up....is this normal?

I started in 2010 so this is my 6th year:eek: ;-

2010-2012 got CT1-8
    2013 got CT9 and ST6, failed CA1 - FA
    2014 got CA1 and CA2, failed ST9 - FA
    2015 attempting ST9 and SA5 in April (same day, April 30)***(going suicidal)

I really wanna finish up now, any advise from those who are done or from those who are still striving to one day be called an Actuary will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  2. JayDee

JayDee Member

So mine is a bit different. I failed some CT's and CA3 but didn't fail CA1, CA2, ST's or SA. What worked for me was having a parallel obsession. If you focus entirely on your exams then failure will feel like the end of the world. If you have another obsession like say running the marathon, then you will cross subsidize your failure with happiness there.

My two cents!

3. manish.rex

manish.rex Ton up Member

well mine is still slower than many of you guys..started CTs in 2010, finished by 2012. Since then passed only st6. Preparing for ST8 for May diet and then to write CA1 in October sitting . With responsibilities in office increasing, time for studies is becoming more n more scarce.

4. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Me.
    Hey Edwin, why don't you apply & pass SOA-ERM exam, You can get exemption from IFoA-ST9 . and it won't be suicidal.

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Hemant, I will pass ST9 in April, I am not complaining that it's difficult, I got an FA and think I know where I went wrong. The only suicide is writing ST9+SA5 in one sitting in one day...but I am comfortable in the decision, atleast for now.

6. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

That is why I text about SOA-ERM that won't be in one sitting. :)
    No worries!
    Have a studious days!

7. bystander

bystander Member

The end is in sight and you can do it. Try not to put too much additional pressure on yourself, particularly on the day. If you go in the exams thinking this is my ticket to freedom it may actually cause you to panic. Its just like any other exam. Stay calm, be well prepared and your day will come.

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hear, hear!!!...thanks Bystander

9. tiger

tiger Ton up Member

I feel I've been quite fortunate, I've passed the 8 CTs in 5 sittings, and the following 4 papers in another 5 sittings.
    (I'm waiting for the result of my third attempt at CA3 however)

For the written exams (in particular the later essay type exams) I think you have to have the attitude that on one hand, they can be passed on a first sitting (i.e. give it your full effort), but on the other hand no matter how well prepared you are you can still have a paper that doesn't suit, or a bad day.

Good luck!

10. bystander

bystander Member

Your story of getting stuck on CA3 isn't uncommon. Hope its third time lucky for you. That really wouldn't be the paper I would leave to the end to qualify on. But victory can be all the more sweet when you don't pass first time!

11. Schuey

Schuey Member

This is a really good point.

As for my exam progress

I just want it over and done with now and to get on with the rest of my life and what I want to do next

2006 Passed CT1, CT2, CT5
    2007 Passed CT4 second time, CT6, CT7
    2008 Passed CT8 second time (I got FA first time). Summer 2008 I was disillusioned whether actuary is right career for me and basically cocked up my session
    2009 CA1 passed first time in 1 winter sitting in April 2009 :), CT9
    Diploma in Actuarial Techniques, Certificate in Finance and Investment
    2010-2013 I didn't pass anything. Part of me wasn't sure actuary is right career for me. Also everytime I studied for ST I could not finish the course in time for the exam.
    2014 ST2 Passed (second time) :) (I got FA first time and first time I have left out chapters 24, 31 in my revision because of lack of time)
    I am taking ST1 in April 2015.
    Then taking SA2 in October 2015.
    I know I can pass ST1 because I passed ST2.
    I find it hard to keep going sometimes.

Just my 2 cents worth

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  12. Edwin

Edwin Member

I do not take anything remotely alcoholic, but I salute the Johnny Walker people, for continuously inspiring us to keep walking!

But make sure Actuary is for you! I chose the path Finance Actuary because other fields do not leave a spark on me.

13. mmmmmm

mmmmmm Member

I passed all the CTs first time but then failed CA1, and both my ST's on the first attempt.

But my approach was to always do my retake with my new exam so I never got delayed in time.

E.g.

September 2013 failed CA1
    April 2014 Passed CA1, Failed ST7
    September 2014 Passed ST7, Failed ST8
    April 2015, Passed ST8 and SA3 together.

So I caught up with myself.

Guess it depends on how many study days your employer is allowing you.

14. Lewin

Lewin Member

So.......any advise on ST7?
    or does the usual notes,qna plus past papers combo work here as well?

15. Good on you