2019 Education Strategy

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Admin, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

We suggest you use this thread to discuss any new 2019 issues - but you may wish to read the other related threads first to avoid going back over old ground.
    Thanks
    Admin

2. Infinity

Infinity Member

my previous post "actuarial sheep" had 3,000 views. Why has this new one been opened up?

Acted have said that everyone has a right to an opinion, but my Posts are deleted and moderated

What difference is this new thread going to make?

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

Groupthink

Infinity likes this.
  4. Muppet

Muppet Member

Exam weeks!! More important things to do than engage here.

As much as the other one I expect.

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

That’s the point I’m trying to make

6. JamesKing

JamesKing Member

Hi,

Will tutorial dates and assignment deadlines also be published next week (when orders go live) so we can make our Study Plans?

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

8. Infinity

Infinity Member

What happens if the regulatory and legal issues mean that the system has to be changed again?

9. Infinity

Infinity Member

The IFoA and Acted can change things at a moments notice. I wouldn’t rely on them. They previously published an exam timetable detailing exams till 2020 for the purpose of long term planning. They then decided to introduce the curriculum 2019 in 2019 so any plans that were made from the planning timetable were useless. They also don’t bother to tell you and just change their plans without appropriate notification. The amount of times they’ve changed exam dates at the last minute causing me stress as well as financial loss or even cancelled exams such as CT9 or changed the rules on their PPD requirement is unbelievable.

Is there an order to taking exams or isn’t there? Is there an increase in study requirements or isn’t there? Can the new exams be sat and passed separately or do they have to be taken together?

I have a list as long as my arm of issues which would prevent me from being able to plan anything with the information published by the IFoA. Acted are better and have also admitted to being affected by the indecisiveness of the institute but they are not without fault either...

10. yuli2513

yuli2513 Very Active Member

Hi,

I am brand new to the exam. I would like to know if it is still wise to take the new CM1 exam in April with this current syllabus change? Or does it make more sense to take an exam that has not been changed? What is the best to take in this case? (I just graduated from a master degree of Actuarial Science.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  11. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

Well, CM1 is essentially what is now CT5 and most of CT1 (I think the Stochastic part of CT1 is moved to CM2). So you may want to use those as a basis if you wish to study for CM1. Or you can wait for Acted's CM1 notes to come out.

12. Infinity

Infinity Member

i get Zero. I have to waste my vacation, Weekends, evenings, Mornings, easters, Christmas etc. I hope that answers your question.

Every time you fail for some reason not even clear to you, you will have to do 250 hours of study rather than 125 for each CT

in the Thesis that almost there has put up, it seems that nearly 30 years ago, the IFoA decided that the study material was too much so they split the courses into more managable componants and had "half exams", now they seem to be doing a U turn and adding extra exams so that there are now 11 CTs rather than 9. Do they think we cannot Count? That is more exams.

They just don't know what they are doing. There is no Point to join These courses together and no Explanation has been provided as to why the CTs have been retrospectively joined.

13. Infinity

Infinity Member

oh good idea, i will get the CT1 notes which I threw in the dustbin since I thought I already passed, clean the fungus and mould that has grown on them and then sit the new CM1 exam so that I can prove that I understand the Content of this material which bears no relevance to my Job for a second time.

I will also gladly pay the IFoA an exam fee again and Acted, should I post my credit Card number so that you can Fleece me a Little too?

14. Infinity

Infinity Member

The IFoA may have to Change the System again, so I would not bother taking any exams. They have published 18 Versions of the Curriculum 2019 guide plus god knows how many of the document before that and have materially changed the Content. First they said you could sit and pass the individual componants of CM1 seperately and now it seems like you have to take both exams together. They didn't tell anyone they have changed this minor Detail and just doctored the text hoping that the actuarial sheep wouldn't notice. Therefore plan whatever you like. There is a high chance that the ifoa will doctor and modify their rules again and your plans can be left by the wayside

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  15. Infinity

Infinity Member

i made a study plan based on a time table published by the IFoA for the specific purpose of "Long term exam planning". It detailed exams up until 2020. Now it seems I can't take the exams I wanted to in 2020 and I will have to take the exams that I have already passed all over again

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

Long term planning... something actuaries want to be known as trusted experts in yet IFoA can't even keep their promise to 2020.

Infinity and Calm like this.
  17. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

:rolleyes: Well at least you don't need to pay more for course notes (assuming you managed to get the fungus and mould off properly)...?

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

I hope version 19 will be a compensation package and remedy to all those thousands who will be disadvantaged contrary to that stated by Derek Cribb in their annual report. I won't hold my breath tho.

19. Infinity

Infinity Member

But there was a disclaimer on the timetable which said that the entire exam system would be changed and there was no point to take the exams as they might be rendered completely worthless in the future.

20. Infinity

Infinity Member

It actually still says that all existing subjects map to somewhere in the new syllabus.

This is correct, my CT1 and CT6 exam passes are mapped to the dustbin