Maths and Management Consultancy

Discussion in 'Careers' started by jenny4562, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jenny4562

jenny4562 Member

Hi,

I've been working for a large business and IT consultancy for the past 8 months since I left university. I chose this path because I wanted a job in business and I'm good with people and I thought it'd be a good place to start and get to know what's out there.
    However I've realised that I really miss Maths and am considering that I may be better placed with a more analytical career such as actuarial. If I were to apply for actuarial places I'd prefer to do it as soon as possible, as I know the exams can take years and I don't want to have to take a salary cut if I'm to start again at graduate level. I have a first from Oxford in Maths and a masters in mathematical biology with a research placement in Microbiological Risk Assessment.

So.. here are the questions:

a) IS an actuarial career mathematical or is it more a case of plugging numbers into predefined models? As a mathematician I find that I am more interested in how to answer problems than what the answer is.
    b) will employers be unwilling to consider me if I have only stuck at my original career for 1/1.5 years? Are there any types of role I can pursue within management consultancy that will make my decision seem more logical?

Thanks in advance!

2. 4EverStudent

4EverStudent Member

a) I'm afraid an actuarial career won't sate your mathematical desires. I'm a mathematician and found the level of mathematics in the day job very low indeed. Also, given your background, you will find the Mathematical exams (CTs) very easy indeed. I took a Masters in Maths in my spare time to keep up my interest in the subject. If I could turn back time, I'd have done a PhD in something interesting like Number Theory. But, at least actuarial work pays well!

b) Shouldn't be a problem if my answer to a) hasn't put you off! :)