Calculators - Casio FX-85

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Gareth, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

It seems this new calculator always gives answers in fraction form and you have to press the S<=>D button to see the decimal answer (not efficient for big numerical questions!).

Has anyone found a way to change this behaviour? Or will the examiner be happy to see that the required rate of return is 9 512/1061 % ?

I miss my old university calculator that has served me faithfully for all these years (and it's less advanced than the new one anyway!!!)

2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I bought this calculator about 30 minutes before going into the exam and I have to say the default fraction setting p*ssed me off too! Lucky I managed to change it after 20 minutes frantic experimenting!!!

Try this:

SHIFT
    SETUP
    ARROW DOWN

Now you have decimal display!

btw, it was a ca3 exam yet they still made a point of checking the calculators!

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

Doesn't work for me - still gives fractions!!

4. anon2

anon2 Member

Not in London.

5. Gareth

Gareth Member

... or Croydon

6. learner

learner Member

The default mode appears to be fractions. This can be changed by:
    SHIFT
    SETUP

This has to be repeated if the calculator is fully reset.

7. Gareth

Gareth Member

Perfect! Thanks!!!

8. 4EverStudent

4EverStudent Member

Nice one - I was wondering how to do that as well.

The Casio FX-85 is the 1st new calculator that I've bought in over 20 years. My trusty FX-115N has served me well ....!

9. I find the New Casio quite irritating to be honest. The default fraction thing is annoying, but also the way that it automatically opens brackets took me a while to get used to. Glad I did though cos the calculator Nazis were out in force in Manchester too!