Mark Scheme question

Discussion in 'CP1' started by Sarah Malone, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Sarah Malone

Sarah Malone Made first post

Hi, I have noticed multiple times in past paper practice that answers I write feel quite sensible and relate to the CP1 course itself but when I read the mark scheme, my points are not there explicitly. I have also noticed that sometimes the solutions given in the ASET papers are not explicitly on the IFOA examiners report.
    In general, if we make a good point and it is not explicitly on the mark scheme - do we get awarded any credit? I noticed some questions are marked with "award credit for other examples" but these are typically just the risk identification questions.

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Sarah
    If you are making points that are very similar to those included in the Examiners' Report, then these would likely be given credit as an alternative to the point in the marking schedule. You do not have to replicate the points made to gain the marks. There is often a little flexibility around the marking schedule for points to score even if not explicitly stated there; in particular if you cover a theme that is on the marking schedule but cover it in a different but equally valid way then the point may well be given credit.

In general, it is prudent not to expect to gain credit for points that are not included on the marking schedule (or that are not sufficiently similar to the points on that schedule). But, as you say, there may be some questions where it is indicated that marks could be available for 'other reasonable comments / examples'.

If you have gone in a rather different direction in an answer, then it is worth making sure that you aren't giving too much depth / detail in one particular area (aim to go for breadth in the first instance), or including points that are rather tangential or second-order (so not deemed important enough to gain credit), or points that aren't relevant to that particular scenario.

In terms of the ASET solutions, the points there will correspond with the Examiners' Report. However, they may be reworded to make them equivalent but easier to follow - bearing in mind the purpose of ASET as an educational aid.