Q for ST 2, Ch 7 - Revalorisation Method

Discussion in 'SP2' started by magpie, Jul 17, 2013.

1. magpie

magpie Member

Could someone please help me understand the following with respect to RP products:

1. Is it possible to distribute profits, under this method, without increasing the premium but only making the bonus declaration of a lesser amount, as it is the case in constant premium products?
    2. When is the profit distributed i.e. the timing of the payment? Is it always that, the bonus is declared at first and is paid when the p/h makes a claim? If yes, then how does this method apply to the term assurance policies?
    3. Lastly, what type of products can follow this method of distributing profits?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Revalorisation in its purest form involves increasing the premium, benefit and reserve all by the same proportion. But yes, it is possible in some countries to keep premiums level in return for a smaller increase in the benefits

Yes, the bonus is declared each year, but it is paid when a claim is made.

So for an endowment, the bonuses would be paid on death or maturity.

For a term assurance, the bonuses would be paid only on death in theory. The policyholder would get nothing on survival to the end of the term. However, I have never heard of a with-profits term assurance of this type being sold in practice.

Revalorisation products would usually be endowments or whole life.

Best wishes

Mark

3. therayofhope

therayofhope Member

Hi Mark, don't really understand how question 1 here actually works. Based on the solution issued in the course notes for question 7.1, surely the premium has to increase even when the sum assured increase at a slower rate? Don't really get that while reading the notes.

i.e how can the premium stays unaltered?

4. ahujas

ahujas Member

I am a bit confused about the wordings of the syllabus objectives of Ch 6 & 7.
    Here they are implying that following are the methods of distributing profits to WP p/h
    - cash bonus (A)
    - premium reduction (B)
    - benefit increase (C)
    - "additions to benefits" method (D)
    - "revalorisation" method (E)
    - "contribution" method (F)

Isn't A to C a subset of D to F?

My understanding is that the "methods" (D-F) are actually the calculations that a company will perform in order to come up to a number (bonus) and A to C are the ways that the company can attach/pay the bonuses to the contract.
    Say, under D & E, as benefits are paid at the time of claim, the policy holders would receive the SA + Bonus Amount at that time. This can be seen as increase in benefits (C).
    And under "contribution" method, the bonus can be attached as A/B/C, depending on the T&C.

Is my assumption right? If not, how are they any different?
    I am assuming that there many more methods for calculating bonuses for WP products, and only a few are given here to limit the course and induce the understanding..??

Also, I was wondering that which bonus method does TA WP products follow, esp in the UK ?

Lastly, can I know what are the timings of the payment of the bonus under each method, please? Is it paid as soon as it is announced(A/B/C/F?) or is it paid when a claim arises(D/E?)?

Apologies, for piggy banking under this topic and asking too many questions at once. This is getting quite confusing for me :confused:

Thanks

5. Mark Willder

Question 7.1 looks at the revalorisation method in its purest form. So the reserves, benefit and premium all increase by r% as described in the Core Reading. The formula given is roughly (using appropriate A and a functions for the given contract):

(1+r)V = (1+r)S A + (1+r) P a

The ActEd text then goes on to say that it is possible to use this method, but with a constant premium. So we set r to zero for the premium and find a new smaller r* for the benefit that satisfies:

(1+r)V = (1+r*)S A + P a

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Mark

6. Mark Willder

Yes, you have got this exactly right. Methods D to F are methods of calculating bonuses, while methods A to C are methods of paying out the bonuses.

In recent years some insurers have tried to introduce new types of with-profits contracts. Some of these approaches get a very brief mention in subject SA2. However, the vast majority of business sold follows one of the methods covered in ST2.

A with-profits term assurance policy would be pretty rare. However, I have worked on an accumulating with-profits TA in the past.

D and E use benefit increases (C), so the bonus is paid when a claim is made.

The contribution method (F) can use any of the types of bonus. If it uses benefit increases (C), the bonus is paid when a claim is made. If it uses cash bonus (A), the bonus is paid immediately. If it uses a premium reduction (B) then effectively the bonus is paid every time a premium is paid (ie the bonus reduces the premium).

Best wishes

Mark

7. ahujas

ahujas Member

Thanks very much Mark :)

8. therayofhope

therayofhope Member

thanks a lot too Mark!

9. ahujas

ahujas Member

Numerical example anyone?

Hi there, I have read this method over and over again but I still don't understand it fully.
    Can someone please give a working example of how the bonus will be calculated(!) for a policy following revalorisation method, from first principles? I am assuming it will follow the usual route, I.e. 'r' the excess of actual experience over assumed factors in valuation(?), the factors being mortality, expense etc in our bases.
    Hence, r would equal the ratio of existing reserve & the calculated bonus.

Or is this percentage pre-decided ( probably at pricing stage by an actuary) and could only change under worse experience due to PRE?
    Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  10. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello

An important feature to notice about the revalorisation method is that it splits the sources of profit into "savings" (ie investment) and "insurance" (ie everything else).

It is just part of the savings element that is distributed as bonus.

So the difference between actual and expected mortality and expense experience would be part of the "insurance" element. This is typically profit that ultimately belongs to the shareholders. It does not affect the bonus.

The savings element of the profit (ie the difference between actual and expected investment returns) is the item that determines the bonus.

This might work by using a formula of the form:
    r% = k% (actual i% - expected i%)

Here the k% is pre-decided. It will be part of the policy terms and conditions. These may say, for example, that 90% of savings profits is distributed as bonus. (This implies that the other 10% belongs to the shareholders.)

If k=90%, actual i% = 5% and expected i% = 3% say, then r% = 1.8%.

This 1.8% is declared as a bonus by increasing the policy reserves by 1.8%. We can think of this as saying that, of the 5% investment return growth on the assets over the year, 3% was needed to cover the increase in the existing policy reserves, 0.2% was given to shareholders and 1.8% is given to policyholders.

The simplest way to increase the policy reserves by 1.8% is to increase the policy benefits and premiums by 1.8% (as in Mark's post above).

I hope this helps clarify this method a little.

Best wishes
    Lynn

11. ahujas

ahujas Member

Thanks Lynn. It did clear my confusion.

12. mjmjmj

mjmjmj Made first post

hello, can you also explain what revalorisation method and contribution method are? any real-life example?

13. Mark Willder

Hi

Chapter 7 of the course notes describes how the methods work and gives some examples of the calculations used.

Best wishes

Mark