Subj 403 paper 2 2002 September Q1ii

Discussion in 'SA3' started by Edward Smith, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Edward Smith

Edward Smith Active Member

Hello,
    I am struggling to see how the free assets in 2003 has come to 396.
    In my calculation I have assets = bonds (1b) + DAC(0.66) / liabs = upr(220) + OSclaims (550) which means I am 100 out as difference between these 2 equates to 296 - can anyone see what I am missing?
    Cheers

2. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Hi

Dividends are paid so as to maintain the solvency margin at 90% (360/400) so if you write 440 in premiums your free assets should be 396.

I am not sure you are doing it correct the way you want to do it because I can't see how you are including the value of assets after 1 year, retained profits etc. I also think the free assets are an input in the calcs based on the information to get the dividend payment hence the retained profit.

3. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

4. Shaylih

Shaylih Made first post

Hi, I am also stuck on this question.

I have that the free assets are 360 for 2002, 396 for 2003, 435.6 for 2004 etc....
    This means that the solvency ratio is 0.9 across all years.

From here, I am unsure how to calculate the dividend payment, as I used the fact that the solvency margin is consistent across years to calculate the free assets....

Thanks

5. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Have a look at the workings in the post Ian has linked to above. Recall that the increase in the free assets from one year to the next will be the retained profits for the year and that the difference between the profits for shareholders and the retained profits are the dividends.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Katherine Young likes this.