High Income Bond backing

Discussion in 'SA2' started by AndyB, Jan 21, 2024.

1. AndyB

AndyB Member

Hi

Hope everyone is doing well and is understanding the course :)

Just a quick question on high-income bonds

In chapter 2 page 26 , it says that high income bonds are backed by temporary annuities, zero-coupon bonds and call options.
    In chapter 14 page 13, it says that high income bonds are backed with zero coupon bonds and call options.

I just want to make sure that both of those are acceptable backings?

Thanks

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - I'm not able to reconcile your chapter and page references to the current version of the SA2 course, so it is worth checking that you have the latest version.
    However, I can see where such references are made (in Chapters 1 and 13). The IFoA's Core Reading quoted in Chapter 1 refers to the use of 'a temporary annuity to provide the income', so the examiners might also expect such a statement. However, a series of zero-coupon bonds maturing at each of the income dates would have the same outcome, so should be equally valid (and perhaps more likely in practice?).

3. AndyB

AndyB Member

Hi Lindsay

Sorry, I meant chapter 1, but the other reference to chapter 14 (Asset Liability modelling) is right.
    My notes say they are for the 2024 exams, but I am worried now that something has gone wrong

Many thanks

4. Lindsay Smitherman

Sorry yes, I've just done the same - think I must have got my chapter and page numbers round the wrong way: Chapter 14 it is! :)

5. TanishaS

TanishaS Active Member

Hi
    Can you please help if there would be any mortality guarantees under a high income bond? If not, then would there be longevity risk under this product?

Thank you

6. Lindsay Smitherman

As stated in the course (Chapter 1 near the bottom of page 24), the death benefit would normally be guaranteed to be not less than the single premium.