Syllabus change question

Discussion in 'CM2' started by s1645544, Mar 1, 2024.

1. s1645544

s1645544 Active Member

Hi,
    I am retaking CM2, my previous sitting was April 2023 and I am reusing my study materials from that sitting. (Combined materials pack, flash cards, revision books)
    I have gone through the changes to 2024 syllabus and see there have been some changes - the major one being the removal of topic 3.

Going through the rest of the changes i understand the only ' brand new' objective is 5.3.5 Validity of the assumptions underlying the Black-Scholes model.

The other changes seem to be combining previous syllabus objectives / splitting up previous syllabus objectives.
    Please could you advise on the impact of these restructuring changes, i.e. does splitting up syllabus objectives put more emphasis on that objective or is it simply a restructuring and the previous study material will cover the necessary detail.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Most of the syllabus wording changes are going to be just that - wording changes. We can't know for sure what's going through the examiners' heads but it's possible that a subtle change in wording may be precisely because a question is intended on that topic. In this case, I would doubt that - in the past there have been many questions on the "validity" of BS assumptions and I don't think a change in syllabus wording was required to make this question "fair game".
    So, you're right to pay attention to changes in syllabus wordings but, in this case, it wouldn't change the amount of time I spend thinking about the BS assumptions and how realistic they are (which would be about 30-45 mins of my 200 hours studying)
    John

3. s1645544

s1645544 Active Member

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your help and advice.