Chapter 16 IFRS

Discussion in 'SA2' started by rlsrachaellouisesmith, Jan 20, 2024.

1. rlsrachaellouisesmith

rlsrachaellouisesmith Ton up Member

Hi

For GMM:
    In the notes it states that the SII BEL and IFRS BEL could be different, page 13 Chapter 16.

I understand they could be different due to different rules of offsetting and different methods for unbundling contracts (e.g. UL contracts).

However, given both use best estimate assumptions I do not understand how different expense assumptions can apply? Could you explain this please.

Also to clarify I understand that different yield curve assumptions may apply, because discount rates are derived from observable market values for IFRS whereas EIOPA publish for SII. Does this also mean that investment return assumptions are different? And can investment return assumptions be market consistent and not risk neutral so the cost of guarantees may also be different?

Finally, could there also be differences in assumptions relating to contract boundaries which could cause a difference?

Thank you,

Rachael

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. rlsrachaellouisesmith

A few more questions based on this chapter:

1) In the notes it says that there are differences between revenue recognition under US GAAP and IFRS. One difference is mentioned in the notes, treatment of losses. Is this the only difference or are there others? Obviously if there are others I don't need to know them, but just wondered if there were any.

2) For the VFA under IFRS the notes say that the CSM is unlocked for discount rate changes, it does not specify if it is also unlocked for non-economic assumption changes like under the GMM. I presume it is to avoid the sensitivity of profits to changes in non-economic valn assumptions, but wanted to check.

3) Similar to questions on EV I just posted but, what are the differences between RA and RM under SII.
    • RA could use same approach as RM e.g. CoC approach
    • RA could use CoC approach but with different %age CoC or different diversification benefits
    • If using the CoC approach could the additional capital required to be held against non-hedgeable risks be different, i.e. not VaR or VaR with different CL?
    • RA could use VaR approach, same as SCR, but could use a different confidence level
    • RA could use conditional tail expectations method.
    • Are their any other differences?
    Thank you very much,
    Rachael

3. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The Core Reading doesn't go into any detail on this so you wouldn't be expected to know it for the exam. I suspect that it might be something to do with how expenses are allocated between cohorts of business, given that 'grouping' of policies can differ for IFRS compared with Solvency II, so expense allocation might also differ (including how overheads might be treated)?

rlsrachaellouisesmith likes this.
  4. Lindsay Smitherman

The GMM applies to conventional without-profits business (any UL or WP insurance business would be valued under the VFA method) so there is no need for a separate investment return assumption: we are just discounting the future (fixed) cashflows.

5. Lindsay Smitherman

The approach to contract boundaries does differ between Solvency II and IFRS 17, but this is not referred to in the Core Reading and so you would not be expected to know the details.

6. Lindsay Smitherman

The VFA is the same as the GMM approach, except for the differences that are described in the Core Reading. So yes, there is CSM unlocking when non-economic assumptions change - just as for the GMM.

7. Lindsay Smitherman

Fundamentally, the RM calculation is highly prescribed, whereas under the RA there is much more choice - the insurer has a lot of flexibility over the approach it takes (as you have indicated).

8. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Thank you Lindsay!

9. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Hi

1) Under IFRS it says that the BEL should be calculated to allow for the CoG/O.

Could the method used to calculate the CoG/O be different to that used under SII/solvency capital requirement calculations?

- could the method be deterministic?
    - if stochastic then would the investment return used still be the risk free rate determined from the observed market values, or could it be a best estimate rate?

2) in this chapter it says that IFRS 17 describes the various disclosures required. One of these is insurance finance income and expenses - what is insurance finance?

Thank you,

10. Lindsay Smitherman

Not important for SA2 (hence we don't expand on it in the course notes) but FWIW, IFRS provides the following definition:
    "Insurance finance income or expenses is defined as the change in the effect of the time value of money arising from the passage of time and the effect of changes in financial assumptions on the carrying amounts of insurance contracts recognised in the statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income. Market variables are variables that can be observed in, or derived directly from, markets (for example, prices of publicly traded securities and interest rates)."

11. Lindsay Smitherman

There's nothing to say that the same methods have to be used (eg stochastic model vs closed form / option pricing approach), but for practical purposes it makes a lot of sense to use the same valuation model for both.
    A deterministic model would not be appropriate, as it would not capture the time value of the guarantee or option.
    The valuation of options / guarantees has to be done in a way 'that is consistent with observable market prices for such options and guarantees' - ie a market-consistent approach. A risk-neutral market-consistent modelling approach is most likely to be used.

12. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Another IFRS/US GAAP comparison:
    - is the US GAAP sensitive to valuation assumptions, I know the course mentions that IFRS 4 was and this was an improvement for IFRS 17.
    - given historic market values are used, but some move towards fair values, this made me think that liability valuations might be set based on long term assumptions, but was not sure?

Thank you,

Rachael

13. Lindsay Smitherman

The course now includes very little detail on US GAAP, so this isn't something that you would need to know about for the exam.

Based on my own experiences with it (admittedly quite a long time ago!), I seem to remember that for some types of business (those that were subject to FAS 60: traditional non-linked business) the assumptions were indeed locked-in (unless needing to recognise a loss). But that wasn't the case for products that were subject to FAS 97 and FAS 120 (unit-linked, some WP).

And yes, there were also smoothing mechanisms in place such as deferred acquisition costs and deferred profit liabilities.

However, I am also aware that there have been significant changes in the accounting standards issued by FASB over the last decade or two, so wouldn't be able to say for sure that this is still the case.

Feel free to research further if you have the inclination, but not needed for the SA2 exam! https://fasb.org/standards

14. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Hi

When discounting immediate annuities using the GMM would we expect the discount rate to reflect an illiquidity premium in excess of the RFR, if suitable matching assets are held and expected to be held to maturity?

Thank you,

Rachael

15. Lindsay Smitherman

Yes but this is not covered explicitly in the SA2 Core Reading