Exam Question Direction

Discussion in 'SP2' started by N_Exam, Dec 14, 2023.

1. N_Exam

N_Exam Very Active Member

Hi Acted Tutors,

The SP2 Sept 2023 exam question 2 is:-
    2 (i) Outline the main customer needs that endowment assurance products may fulfil. [3]

A life insurance company is considering introducing a new unit-linked endowment assurance product to replace its existing with-profits endowment product.
    (ii) Discuss the likely impact on the life insurance company of making this change. [5]
    [Total 8]

For part ii, it asks for "impact" on the company. This made me think the question is not asking for "impacts" just an "impact". So i thought i should talk about one area only, Risk. However, the model solution talks about more than just risk (solution below).
    So how should I have read/interpreted part 2ii ?

2ii) Solution:
    It may change volumes of new business written by the insurer [½]
    as well as the type of policyholders purchasing the business [½]
    and the per policy profit margin. [½]
    It may reduce the level of capital that the insurer needs to hold for the business [½]
    Due to lower guarantee costs / passing more investment risk to the policyholder [½]
    and the removal of the need to hold capital for smoothing [½]
    providing that the insurer designs the product appropriately. [½]
    Any change in risk profile will be slow though, as the existing business will remain. [½]
    It will also be possible to limit exposure to early lapses through the product charging structure. [½]
    The insurer is still exposed to early deaths and will need to hold capital to support these. [½]
    It is possible that competitors have switched to a unit linked basis [½]
    So, the insurer may be more in line with the market [½]
    but they could have lost a key point of differentiation. [½]
    However, if this is the insurer’s first unit linked product, then there will be expenses in making this change. [½]
    and significant training of staff [½]
    and systems development. [½]
    and new marketing / product literature. [½]
    Administration costs could also be higher depending on the number of funds. [½]
    The company will need to change investment strategy [½]
    or may outsource investment management. [½]
    If the product is set up with variable charges, then it may be possible for the insurer to increase charges to cover increasing expenses…. [½]
    but customer expectations here will be important…. [½]
    and depend on information provided at the point of sale. [½]
    Customer expectations are likely to be more straightforward for unit linked compared to with profits business. [½]
    When the change is made, there may be issues or concerns raised by consumers/ brokers about the loss of the With-profits endowment product. [½]
    [Marks available 12½, maximum 5]

Thank you for you replies.

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

I think you have answered your own question here. You've realised that your approach was too narrow and you should have covered a wide range of points.

A few thoughts on reading the question. I don't think the word "impact" suggests that you should look at just one thing. I would be expecting to cover the full impact rather than just part of the impact. In general, it is better to cover a wide range of ideas in the exam, rather than covering a single idea in great depth.

Best wishes

Mark