Alterations

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Mahima Singla, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Mahima Singla

Mahima Singla Active Member

Hi,
    I am bit confused .. this is section 4.1 of Chapter 22, Alterations
    There is this line "The profit ‘released’ at the date of alteration will be:
    the full expected profit under the unaltered contract, if a realistic prospective value
    is used for the policy value before alteration"

Can anyone please explain how can we expect the full expected profit if we are using BEst estimate of assumption. If we are assuming best estimate that means our future xperience is more in line with best estimate assumption which leaves less or zero possibility of future profit. Then how come we expect full profit ?

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Mahima

I think you are thinking about pricing a new contract. If we price a contract with best estimate assumptions then the expected profit is zero (unless there is an explicit profit margin).

But here we are using the best estimate assumptions to calculate the alteration. So the alteration itself will not produce a profit or loss. But the profit margins in the original pricing basis will still produce profit for the insurer.

Best wishes

Mark

Mahima Singla likes this.
  3. Mahima Singla

Thanks Mark. This makes sense.

4. Eleanor Cawston

Eleanor Cawston Active Member

Hi Mark,
    I think I have essentially the same question, so would like to double check my understanding. I think it is maybe similar to the arguments in Chapter 21, Section 5.2 where the retention of profit on surrender is described?

If we calculate the old policy value using a realistic prospective basis then it is
    Expected claims on realistic basis + future expenses on realistic basis - future premiums (which included margins) (1)​

If we calculate the old policy value using a prospective basis which also includes margins then it is
    Expected claims on prudent basis + future expenses on prudent basis - future premiums (which included margins) (2)​
    The first two elements are larger than in (1), the premiums are the same.
    So here we have a larger "old policy value" if using a basis with margins rather than best estimate?

Profit released will be:
    Earned asset share - prospective value
    So using (1) will give a large profit release than using (2)?

5. Mahima Singla

Hi, I am sharing my understanding.

Using 1 will give lower value of reserves as the rationale behind using Best estimate is to reduce the value of liabilities/reserves.

Using 2 will give higher reserves as more margins will increase the liabilities.

So, it should be correct to say that deducting the value of 1 from asset share will give higher profit. But let's have Mark's view on the same.

6. Mark Willder

Yes this is right.:)

7. Mark Willder

Hi Eleanor

The above all looks correct with one small adjustment.

The value of the premiums is not the same in the two equations. The premiums themselves are the same. However the expected present value of the premiums in (2) will be lower as the more prudent mortality assumption will make it less likely that the premiums will be paid. On the flip side, the more prudent investment assumptions will place a higher present value on the premiums. But the more prudent investment assumptions will place a higher present value on the claims and expenses too which will outweigh the increased value of the premiums. So overall (2) is bigger than (1).

Best wishes

Mark

8. Mahima Singla

This definitely makes too much sense. I mean my answer was the impact on reserves but as mentioned there will be impact on PV of premiums/benefits too.