ST7 April 2016 Q8 Part v

Discussion in 'SP7' started by sskulnick, Jul 23, 2023.

1. sskulnick

sskulnick Made first post

Hi,

I am struggling to determine how the Revised Ultimate is calculated in the solutions for this question

Could you please assist?

Thanks!

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi sskulnick,

How about I talk you through the method, then you have a go at the calculation?

To estimate the revised BF IBNR as at 31 December 2015, firstly make a suitable assumption to roll the development pattern on by 12 months.

Then add the incurred claim movements in 2015 (you were given this in the question) onto your previous estimate of the cumulative incurred claims to 31 December 2014 to estimate the cumulative incurred claims to 31 December 2015.

Applying your adjusted development percentages to the incurred claims as at 31 December 2015 will give you a revised chain ladder ultimate as at 31 December 2015.

Now combine this with the initial planned ultimate losses, to derive a new BF estimate of the ultimate claims at 31 December 2015. (You might assume that initial planned ultimate losses are not changed as a result of the observed experience in 2015.)

Subtracting the incurred claims at the same date will give you a revised estimate of the BF IBNR as at 31 December 2015.

Good luck!

Busy_Bee4422 likes this.
  3. sskulnick

sskulnick Made first post

Great that's solved it -thanks so much!

Katherine Young likes this.
  4. I am still finding a challenge in this. The figures under the revised ultimate. an example please i seem to get different answers

5. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

This is also covered in the ASET - for lengthy calculations it's worth getting that so that you can compare your detailed calculations with the ones we have.