Structure of CM2 exams post-covid

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Jen L, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Jen L

Jen L Keen member

As we all know, past papers are a great way to prepare for exams.

COVID prompted the exams to move online. I am wondering if the exams have changed as a result of this. Eg are there less bookwork "definition" questions now that the exams are open-book?

I would look through past papers to verify myself but I'm planning to write them under exam conditions i.e without seeing them beforehand.
    Hoping someone with experience can help.

2. Alvin Kissoon

Alvin Kissoon ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Jen,

I'm sure others can comment on their experiences but yes - there are less bookwork questions since the move to open-book online exams. Bookwork elements have not been eliminated entirely, however - and it is important to be able to know where to access the information to save time in the exam. There is consequently an increase in application questions, and I have noticed an increase in "comment on" type questions to test your understanding of some results or a situation.

I hope this helps and good luck in your past papers and the exam.

Alvin.

3. Jen L

Jen L Keen member

Thanks Alvin.

Is there a general consensus on the percentage split between bookwork/application questions?

4. Alvin Kissoon

Alvin Kissoon ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'm afraid not! As a guide, the 2023 Syllabus states:

In the CM subjects, the approximate split of assessment across the three skill types is 20% Knowledge, 65% Application and 15% Higher Order skills.

Note that this proportion will change; the 2024 Syllabus, this split is 5% Knowledge, 75% Application and 20% Higher Order skills.

vidhya36 likes this.
  5. Jen L

Jen L Keen member

Thank you! I must have missed this in the syllabus

6. Bill SD

Bill SD Very Active Member

@Jen L -you may find this 2-page doc helpful CM2 Guidance for Candidates sitting the September 2020 examination.pdf (actuaries.org.uk) The CM2 examiners go through the Sept 2019 Paper A exam commenting on the types of questions that may (not) be asked post-Covid.

For example, "Part (i) of this question could be answered in Word, but students will have access to the Core Reading and their own notes for the October 2020 sitting so this sort of direct examination of the Core Reading might be less common.
    Parts (ii) and (iii) of this question probably contain too much algebra to be answered in Word... or the mark allocation to the question may be adjusted to reflect the time ..to complete it.
    "

Alvin Kissoon likes this.