Chapter 6 Question 6.8

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Minh Ho, Aug 18, 2023.

1. Minh Ho

Minh Ho Very Active Member

A general insurance company A writes only commercial property business. One risk which it coinsures with three other insurers B, C and D has a sum insured of $10m, but an expected maximum loss (EML) of $500,000. Company A accepts 40% of this risk, with B, C and D accepting 20% each.

Company A reinsures with company X 5% of every risk under a quota share treaty. It is agreed that A will not write business for which its gross share of the EML exceeds $250,000.

Company A also has a three line surplus treaty with companies Y and Z, each taking 50%, which operates after the quota share, and is based on company X taking 5% of company A’s gross business. The surplus treaty has a maximum retention of $50,000.

A single large claim gives rise to a loss of $750,000. (i)

(ii)

Calculate the amount of the claim which Company A will pay, net of all reinsurance recoveries due. State any assumptions you make.

[4]

Explain how your answer to (i) would differ if, immediately prior to this claim, companies B and Y were declared insolvent.

[3]

-------------------------
    1. What is the meaning of the bold line? I don't see in the Solution anything related to the gross share of EML exceed $250000?
    2. Also, does claim recoveries based on EML, not loss itself? (EML = 500k while loss = 750k, and all the calculation is based on EML)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Insurer A will not write business with EML>250k. Ignore any reinsurance when thinking about this sentence.
    The EML is used to calculate the number of lines ceded. The recoveries are calculated from the loss (750k in your example).

3. Minh Ho

Minh Ho Very Active Member

That means EML are used to calculate the percentage of recoveries only. Once the percentage is defined, then will be applied in real loss right?
    How the EML estimated?

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes, that's right.
    For EML estimation, see Chapter 6 page 8.