Handling Dummy Data and Impact on Marks

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Pooja, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Pooja

Pooja Made first post

Hello everyone,

I recently did the September 18 CP2 Paper 1 exam and encountered a dilemma during the exam. In the exam, I struggled with figuring out how to project the number of children in each age group. As I was unable to solve this part of the question, I ended up using dummy data that I created myself. I proceeded to complete the modeling and all subsequent calculations based on this dummy data that I had inserted. The numbers seemed reasonable, and I even went ahead to create charts and interpret the results based on this fabricated data.

I'm now concerned about the consequences of using dummy data for this crucial aspect of the exam. Has anyone else ever found themselves in a similar situation? I'm wondering how many marks might be deducted for this approach. While reviewing my exam, I noticed that the trends in my charts differed from those presented in the examiner's report, which subsequently led me to draw different conclusions from what was expected.

My main questions are:

1. How many marks might be deducted for using dummy data in a situation like this?
    2. What should one do when they cannot solve a critical component of a question, which then affects all the subsequent calculations in the exam?
    3. Has anyone faced a situation where their interpretations and conclusions based on fabricated data differed from the expected outcomes?
    4. In the scenario of an exam where a student is unable to complete a model due to time constraints, if the individual documents the intended steps or actions in the audit trail, would they still receive marks for those aspects?
    I'm eager to hear your insights and experiences in handling such scenarios. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  2. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It's hard to say exactly the number of marks that would be lost here.

However, your approach, to do something that allowed you to complete the modelling, was the right one! If you look at the marking schedule for this question (in the examiners' report) you will see the clear breakdown of marks. You would lose marks for getting the first step incorrect, but if you correctly completed further calculations you would be awarded marks for these (even if the results are incorrect because they use an incorrect value).

In your audit trail, add any assumptions needed for your amendments. If your results look incorrect acknowledge this and say why (eg they are much larger than expected) and say these should be investigated. Then keep going. Your audit trail is a document explaining how to use your spreadsheet so it's important it does this. Don't document things not in your spreadsheet.

Good luck for the exams.
    Sarah