Preparation - 6 weeks to go

Discussion in 'CP1' started by MJK23, Mar 12, 2023.

1. MJK23

MJK23 Active Member

I was wondering how prep is/ should be going at this stage before exams start next month for CP1? Am only just starting past papers now and find it quite tricky to get through questions in a timely manner and without looking at solutions. Am also apprehensive as it’s double of everything so each year’s past papers has 4 to do

2. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Just finished the revision and now starting past papers and assignments. The plan is to do open book and only during the last 2 weeks the past papers under exam conditions

MJK23 likes this.
  3. Bill SD

Bill SD Very Active Member

my 1st time taking CP1 so i can tell how it is going for me (not how it should be!) -similarly started past papers which is a great position to be in (some brave souls may just be starting the notes!) -it's normal to struggle with time and answers -beauty of having so many CP1 and CA1 past exams is that attempting and then looking at solutions helps guide/brainwash you to think like the examiner.

Two quick tips, which may help you:
    1) I've found it effective to allocate less time than the exam actually allows. So instead of 2 marks a minute, aim for 1.5 marks a minute -this has forced me to speed up my thinking &typing! And remember you only need around 60% for each question, so dont aim for perfection.

2) From an Acted tutor: To cover more past paper Qs, instead of writing a regular answer &timing it etc, can just scribble a few key points/draw mindmap of answer. Before checking the Solutions and comparing to your key points/structure.

MJK23 likes this.
  4. Harashima Senju

Awesome tips, thanks for that

Are there any format tips for writing out answers. I know they advise we use 2.0 line spacing and bullet points.

Do we write the answer to each question on a new page. Do we do the same for part questions for example
    question 1 on 1 page
    question 1 part (ii) on second page on so on

5. Bill SD

Bill SD Very Active Member

For your 1st question: unaware of any format tips [besides structuring longer answers into sections (eg. ads vs disads, or by stakeholder etc) and an Acted tutor helpfully recommended using numbered lists (instead of bullets) so can easily keep track of how many points you've made]

For your 2nd question: All parts of the same question (ie. 1(i), 1(ii),1(iiii), etc) can go on the same page. You'd then start a new page for Question 2. (Ctrl + Enter is the quick way in Word to start a new page)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Harashima Senju likes this.
  6. MJK23

MJK23 Active Member

Great tips here and good to get an idea of where people are! Thanks for sharing both

I’ll try doing that with past papers to save time, otherwise yes it can take quite a while to get through a paper and type answers out . Am doing ASET, 2014 onwards. Hoping it’s enough though I know it’s possible to go back even further like 2010 etc

7. Harashima Senju

I have noticed a lot of bookwork questions from 2014-2019. Interesting how they structure the answers and link chapters to generate points.

8. Harashima Senju

Thanks for that. Numbering the bullet points is efficient :)