With profits inherited estate

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Helloall, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Helloall

Helloall Very Active Member

When a surrender profit occurs, does the profit go to the inherited estate or go to the asset shares of the other policies?

2. Em Francis

Em Francis ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It depends what the company practice is, it could go to either. The surrendering profit is a possible component of the asset share calculation.

Thanks
    Em

3. Chirag Garg

Chirag Garg Made first post

Another question on the same topic, how is it fair to use the inherited state towards the payment of taxes incurred by fund on distribution to shareholders? What kind of taxes are incurred?

4. mw97

mw97 Keen member

Tutors feel free to correct me but my understanding is that it is generally not seen as an ideal situation. In the UK at least you're not allowed to pay tax on SHTs out of the fund unless it was established practice - i.e. in the PPFM etc - at the time the rule came in. (COBS 20.2.20). I'm not sure why they didn't just disallow it altogether but I have seen arguments against this. My view is that just because it is established practice it doesn't mean it is appropriate practice.

5. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes - that sounds correct. This is about paying tax on the money that is distributed to shareholders out of the with-profits fund (the shareholder transfers). It basically boiled down to whether the shareholders being eligible to receive '1/9 cost of bonus' (for the 90:10 funds where this has typically been an issue) was intended to mean before or after the deduction of (shareholder) tax.