Exam Appeal?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Jimjoachim, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Hey - looking thoughts on possible grounds for appeal in what would be my final exam?

Passmark 57. Marker1 61, Marker2 57.5.
    Did not meet any of the criteria for being sent for further review but was. ie
    • first and second marks either side of passmark. NOPE
    • first and second marks equal to passmark. NOPE
    • first and second marks are both fails but average within two marks of passing. NOPE
    Script review mark was 54 so fail without any further marking.
    In researching they have discretion to review any paper for moderation purposes potentially closing off any potential grounds for appeals

What is bugging me is
    • Why was my paper chosen for 3rd review. Just bad luck?
    • How is it equitable. Someone could have scored worse than me and passed just because they werent selected for a 3rd review
    • Even with the review. 2 markers deemed it pass and reviewer fail and it doesnt get a 4th review? Do they not follow their own APS requirements for work review?
    I want to appeal but feel its pretty futile. Any thoughts?

My only plausible explanation is that marker1 was seen to be overly generous in their marking so all their papers were selected for further review. If that is the case its fine but id really just like to know. But is it worth paying £200....

2. Ppan13

Ppan13 Very Active Member

I'm so sorry this has happened to you! Sounds totally unfair given your first two marks were passes.

I personally would not pay for an appeal, because looking at their criteria, they have snuck in a comment under the review criteria: "There are also occasions where a script is reviewed even if it does not fall within the script review criteria" so they have formally reserved the right to review a script without explaining why. They have also said additional script review is "at the discretion of the Chief Examiner" (https://actuaries.org.uk/qualify/after-exams/marking-guidelines)

Looking at the top of page 3 of https://www.actuaries.org.uk/system/files/field/document/AppealsPolicyProcedure April 2022.pdf I think they would say you don't have valid grounds for appeal. For example, I can't see how you would be able to prove there was 'irregular procedure' in the marking, when their own guidelines allow them to choose to conduct additional script reviews (for quality control etc).

That doesn't make it any less upsetting though.

Did you download your marks breakdown to see which question(s) the 3rd marker had marked down? (Unfortunately they have even ruled that out as an ground for an appeal , i.e. "Comparison of your own analysis with your awarded marks i.e. marking your own paper i.e. use of the Examiner’s report" is listed as an invalid reason to appeal). Sorry again.

pjlee01, Jimjoachim and Busy_Bee4422 like this.
  3. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

You were close to the pass mark so I would have expected you to be selected for review. Similarly for anyone else with a lower passing mark close to the boundary. The reviewer is a more senior examiner than the other two and so that is why their mark overrides the other two.

This contrasts with how the process works at GCSE/A level where your script is marked once in normal marking. If a review is requested it is then marked by a more senior examiner and the mark changed if the original mark was not reasonable.

The IFoA basically do the GCSE/A level review before the results are released in every case where it might make a difference to passing/failing. Hence a further review is unlikely to change any marks and so paying for one is throwing money in a hole. I would only do it if both marker 1 and marker 2 gave a close fail and a script review was not performed because that would be a fault with the procedure.

Jimjoachim, Ppan13 and Busy_Bee4422 like this.
  4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I can confirm that any students who are close to the pass mark are automatically given a third review from one of the chief examiners.

The chief examiners do confer with each other - so you do get the benefit of their collective wisdom and thus no fourth marking is undertaken. Any appeal refers the script to one of the chief examiners.

Busy_Bee4422, Jimjoachim and Ppan13 like this.
  5. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to update, I appealed and was instantly rejected. Luckily they didnt charge for the privilege :)

The few comments about close pass's automatically getting a review is surprising as that is not one of the criteria for a review and imo automatically reviewing as a matter of practice would contradict their stated procedure. Discretion is no longer discretion surely!!

Ps - John Lee, just back from holiday where i read your book. Really enjoyed it :)

pjlee01 and Ppan13 like this.
  6. Ppan13

Thanks for the update. I guess that at least having tried, you don't later think "what if I had appealed...." though I'm very glad to hear they didn't charge you for it!

PS. You've made me want to buy that book now!

7. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Oh my, the IFOA have just emailed to say they would now like to "dig deeper" and accept my appeal for further investigation for the small fee of £200 and the promise of a carrot at the end of a stick...

8. Ppan13

What? Talk about mixed messages!!

pjlee01 and Jimjoachim like this.
  9. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

On the same day I spent £1500 on resit, tutorial and travel

10. Ppan13

Someone in the office has probably pointed out to whoever originally replied to you that 'we missed a trick to charge £200 first'.

11. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Lol, revenue targets need to be hit...

Ppan13 likes this.
  12. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Further update:
    Received response on the appeal to admit a procedural error took place and paper should not have been reviewed.
    So they have upheld appeal, apologised and refunded the ££
    Offering a remark which i have to agree to.
    Obviously if its the only option ill have to take it but going to push them further

13. Ppan13

Gosh, that is bizarre. If they agree the paper should not have been remarked again, why is the only option open to you another remark... seems a contradiction! Glad you got a refund though. And hopefully the remark WILL go in your favour, after all of this!

Busy_Bee4422 likes this.
  14. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I hadn't realised that the IFoA gave more information these days on what is supposed to get a script review so having looked at what they say, they definitely made a procedural error in doing a script review on yours and hence you had the grounds that made an appeal worthwhile.

However, their offer of a remark doesn't seem likely to lead to a pass. As John alluded to above, the script review was done by the senior examiners and another remark is likely just to return that score again. It doesn't seem fair that they don't give you the score that you should have been given in the first place, just seems like compounding the error to remark it again.

Ppan13 likes this.
  15. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Another Update:
    So remark back and have officially passed and qualified.....miracles do happen

16. Ppan13

Hey, congratulations! I'm happy to hear this!

Jimjoachim likes this.
  17. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

I was reading this thread from the start & didn't expect it to end in such a beautiful way!! :D So happy for you - this also gives hope for other people to appeal for similar cases.

I'm so glad you stuck with your gut & went ahead and appealed. Saves one from especially:
    - Having to study for another entire session - numerous weekends/evenings taken up
    - Financial consequences as exam passes often come with salary increase. Qualifying even more so.

I can't imagine the relief you must be feeling. Congrats!! :)

Jimjoachim likes this.
  18. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Thank you for your support throughout the thread. :)

Ppan13 likes this.
  19. Jimjoachim

Jimjoachim Member

Thank you so much. Still in a state of shock :)
    While what happened felt wrong, deep down i never believed it would be overturned.
    I was more looking for answers for my own peace of mind.