Unit Pricing

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Sayantani, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Sayantani

Sayantani Very Active Member

Hi,

I thought the concept behind unit pricing was clear for me but I seemed to be getting confused at a few things now:
    If I refer to the numerical Q13.3 solution from the course notes:
    Its given in part e that $1500 will purchase new units which are 280.321
    From here how do I ensure that that the net asset value per unit remains the same to protect the interests of the unit holders.
    The calculation I have in mind is :
    • The net asset value per unit before the appropriation or the creation of units were:=50000/10000=5( I am very unsure this is the correct formula for NAV per unit because do we include the 750 cash amount and dealing expenses as well?)
    • The appropriation price is 5.1902 and the offer price is 5.351
    • The investment of 1500 purchases units at the current offer price of 5.351 and total market value would now stand at 50000 + 1500
    • And the no of units would be 10000+280.321 = 10280.321
    • Hence the net asset value per unit after creation of units becomes = 5.009
    • which doesn't of course match up to net asset value before appropriation price
    Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong with this?

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

A note for other readers of this thread : this Q does not appear in the 2022 version of the course notes.

Hi

A couple of tweaks to the steps in your calculation:
    • As you suspect, you should include the 750 cash amount here too.
    • The MV before the new investment is added is (50,000 + 750). And remember that not all of the 1,500 investment goes into the fund, eg the 3% initial charge will be taken off this amount first.
    Hopefully that helps get things looking closer
    Best wishes

3. Sayantani

Sayantani Very Active Member

Thanks , that was definitely helpful.