Referencing query

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Studystuff, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

Hi,

I was hoping a tutor would help me with a question regarding referencing. I have been reading all of the IFOA regulations/advice/handbooks etc, but I am still a small bit confused. I appreciate that for questions that require "definitions" or "lists" these wont be examined for plagiarism.

My confusion comes say for example question 3 (ii) and (iii) from April 2021 which ask about the standard formula and internal model. Clearly our answers are going to be based around core reading details. If you are answering this off the top of your head, drawing on the info from the core reading eg describing the different tests used for an internal model, does this need to be referenced? The line between "paraphrasing" and "in your own words" confuses me a bit! Thanks!

2. Em Francis

Em Francis ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

I think if you were answering, the types of questions you are referring to, by writing about ideas that are covered in the course, but expressing them in your own words (ie not copying from the course notes) then this would not need to be referenced. However, do bear in mind that it is the IFoA that has set these requirements, so you should contact them for clarification (if this is needed) on anything they have communicated.
    Thanks
    Em