1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Format of ABS

Discussion in 'SP5' started by 1495_sc, Mar 15, 2022.

1. 1495_sc

1495_sc Ton up Member

Hello- can someone please help in understanding the purpose of format of asset-backed securities (ABS) ? Is there a practical example which I can read about? I presume that investment banks like Goldman Sachs must have this format.

I understand that the ABS is structured in a multi-tranche format instead of a single ABS in order to attract different types of investors but how does it work practically? Investor A would get in touch with Goldman Sachs ,for example, to invest in ABS 1. How is this multi tranche presented to the investor? If bonds worth 1 million are being backed by ABS 1, how is this split between senior debt, mezzanine and residual cashflow?

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

3. 1495_sc

1495_sc Ton up Member

Thank you. I wish I could read the whole PDF and even understand it entirely. The ABS format seems to be applied in reality as well. Technical details of the format is explained to investor. I wonder if this conclusion is correct-

Goldman Sachs (GS) or any other IB will pay the investor X if the underlying bond defaults. Does different formats like mezzanine imply that different types of investors will have to pay different levels of premium to GS based on the formats+amount they invest in and if the underlying bond actually defaults in future, GS will prioritize different formats in a pre-defined order and accordingly pay the investors?

4. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

That rings true to me, with one caveat. Payments would be made to / from the SPV, not from GS.

5. 1495_sc

1495_sc Ton up Member

Sounds reasonable. Thank you, David!