Guidance with Prepping for SP9

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Patrova01, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Patrova01

Patrova01 Active Member

Hi,

I would like to start preparing for the SP9 exam for the September exam period. am a bit confused by the material. Any advice on how to go about it? There is the material pack, two textbooks and reference to IAA notes.
    Anyone with advice?

A concerned student

2. I jumped right into the past exams.

Many of the generic risk questions you should be able to answer without even having looked at the notes, assuming that you have already passed/attempted CA1. If I came across questions that I did not know how to answer, I would consult the specific chapter/section in the course notes. I would also make summaries based on the past paper memos, which would help me answer questions from other past papers. You'd be surprised how much repetition there is.

I found this approach to be much quicker than reading through the prescribed books and notes.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2022
    Jade33 likes this.
  3. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

I personally found an SP9 tutorial to be very helpful. The tutor already summarises the important stuff in the slides and you also have some great exam technique preparation along with questions.

Otherwise what I would do is to summarise the notes. For each chapter there is a "task list", ensure you read the material and make a summary of the important information. As mentioned above, these are helpful when answering past exam questions.

Patrova01 likes this.
  4. Patrova01

Patrova01 Active Member

Thnaks. I'll start by looking at the papers for guidance

5. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In case useful, here's my perspective as a tutor for SP9 and as someone who sat the exam April 2020, to add to the excellent advice from Jaanus and Darshan:

- I like the fact you are spreading it over a couple of sessions Patrova, it's a big subject and I think this is a sensible decision.
    - SP9 is a difficult exam to 'wing', nearly every question in the exam is grounded in some bookwork, so knowing the material well is super useful. IMHO you need some sort of summary of the material, eg the module summaries, your own summaries.
    - try and do every question you can lay your hands on, eg exam q's all the way back to 2010, assignments / mocks / end module questions. Many of the themes are now repeating themselves. As you attempt the questions, amend your summaries.
    - make yourself some 'prompt' lists ready for the exam, eg a table of risks and mitigations, a table of ERM framework points to consider, a table of benefits of ERM, a table of ways to assess the different risk categories ...

All subjective and just my personal musings, appreciate this approach may not appeal to all.
    Anna

Mazvita Ndawana likes this.
  6. Patrova01

Patrova01 Active Member

Thank you so much Anna. Going through the material so far, making a summary putting all the resources together while going through the material for the first time. I hope i will have enough time to cover as many papers as possible :)

Anna Bishop likes this.