Tutorial 1 and 2 exercises.

Discussion in 'SP2' started by N_Exam, Feb 7, 2022.

1. N_Exam

N_Exam Very Active Member

Hi all,
    I have some questions from the booklets given out for tutorials 1 and 2. Please could people and tutors answer :)

Tutorial 1.
    Exercise 4.

1. TA. The answer says an asset share is built up? I thought only small reserves were kept to pay out the few claims made and the premiums are taken as profit. Please can someone explain how the cash flows into and out of the company work for a TA?

3. Endowment Assurance. Are the death benefits a fixed amount (sum assured) or do they increase as the asset share is built up? If it’s a fixed amount this would be large losses for the company if death claims were at early durations.

4. Annuity. How are the payment amounts decided on? The answer says that on death of policyholder the per policy asset share increases but does this mean larger benefits (payouts) to the remaining policyholders? I don’t think it does? So why does the per policy asset share matter?

5. Receives investment income. I don’t exactly understand the answer?
    Answer is “income would be apportioned in proportion to cohorts contribution to that income...
    and reflecting the returns obtained on the asset portfolio backing the liabilities”

I think the first part of the sentence means that investment income is given out to each policyholder in proportion to home much they contributed to get this income. This means that policyholders receive investment come in proportion to their contribution to the initial investment -is this correct?
    I’m not sure what the second sentence means?

Tutorial 2.
    Market consistent valuation flow chart.

I’m unsure about the big picture idea of this? Are we saying assets are values at market value and so their yield is more than the risk free rate. Thus their present value is lower than if discounted by risk free rate.
    Liabilities however are discounted at risk free rate giving a higher present value than market value discount. For non-market assumptions, the discounting is at “best estimate + risk margin” so their present value is lower than if discounted by best estimate.
    So, the above is a prudent valuation to derive the supervisory balance sheet, such that “assets are discounted at high rates” and liabilities at “low”.

Thank you for your answers :)

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

I've answered your questions in turn.

Tutorial 1

1. You appear to be suggesting that the premiums for TA are all profit as the claims and reserves are so small. But remember that the premiums are correspondingly small too. Profit for any type of conventional without-profits business is premiums less claims less expenses plus investment return less increase in reserves.

We can calculate an asset share for any contact. Its the accumulated value of premiums less claims less expenses. Given the small regular premiums for TA we'd expect the asset share to be small too, and usually negative at first.

3. All endowment assurances will have a sum assured. If it's a with-profits policy, then this sum assured may also increase with bonuses. So yes, if the policyholder dies early on there is a large sum at risk. Note that the question is not concerned with company profit, but instead looks at the impact on asset share. If the death benefit is larger than the asset share, then this loss reduces the asset share of the surviving policies.

4. I agree that for without-profits annuities, the benefits of the surviving policyholders are unaltered by the death. But we can still calculate the asset share. Asset shares have many uses: measuring profit, determining surrender values, determining bonuses. I agree that these reasons aren't so strong for annuities as some other contracts, but although rare, surrender values and with-profits annuities are possible.

5. Yes, that's right. The policyholder's asset share receives investment income in proportion to their contribution. So a policy with twice the asset share will receive twice the investment income, all other things being equal. But we should also consider what assets are backing the policy. Some polices may be backed by mostly equities, while other contracts may be backed by bonds. So we should consider the source of the income and allocate it to the appropriate policies.

Tutorial 2

No I wouldn't say that this flowchart is trying to present a prudent approach (although I agree that if we had a lower discount rate and hence a higher value for liabilities then this would be more prudent).

Instead the flowchart is trying to present a market-consistent approach to valuing an insurer, ie what would be a fair valuation of its assets and liabilities. In that sense it is neither prudent nor optimistic, but just right.

The market-consistent approach is used in many countries, eg in the EU and the UK we use Solvency II which is a market consistent approach. As solvency calculations are usually prudent to provide protection to policyholders, but a market-consistent approach isn't prudent, then we need to add solvency capital requirements on top.

A fair value is the price that would be exchanged for cashflows in an arms length transaction between two knowledgeable and willing parties. Hence this will be the market price (where this exists) and so we have the name market-consistent. As most assets have a readily available market price we just use that. It is usually more difficult to find a market price for liabilities, but we know from Subject CM2 that prices can be obtained by discounting using the risk-free rate, so that's a good starting point. However, nobody would want to take on liabilities at their best estimate value as there would be a 50% chance of a loss, so we add a risk margin to the liability value to bring the value up to an amount that the market would be willing to accept to take on the liabilities.

So in conclusion, it's all about what the market believes is a fair value of the assets and liabilities.

I hope this helps to provide the logic behind the approach.

Best wishes

Mark

3. N_Exam

Thank you for your reply- really helped!:)

A couple of follow up questions.

Q1) If a with-profits policy PUPs, does it continue to receive bonuses? However the money amount could be small if the pup’ ed policy is small. Does a NP PUPed policy continue to receive the guarantee in proportion to its PUPed value

Tutorial 2. Market consistent valuation flow chart.
    Q2) The middle of the flow chart, coming down from liabilities to investment returns, mentions using risk free rate and illiquidity premium via bond yields. Are these market-assumptions used to value liabilities?

Q3) The summary page of section 17 states that for “Market -consistent approach” the investment returns can be set as the risk free rate.
    So why in this market consistent valuation flow chart are we using market values and not the risk free rate?

Thank you again :):):)

4. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

Again, I've answered your questions in turn.

Q1. A paid up conventional with-profits policy could continue to receive bonuses. The bonus rate would be the same as for other policies, but the amount would be smaller as you suggest because the sum assured would be reduced when the policy is paid up.

Chapter 22 describes how to perform alterations for without-profits policies. It describes two approaches to make a policy paid up. The proportionate paid up approach would reduce the sum assured in direct proportion to the unpaid premiums, ie if 25% of the premiums were unpaid then the sum assured would reduce by 25%. A more accurate approach would be to equate policies values, equating the value of the old policy with premiums and a higher sum assured with the value of the new policy with no premiums and the lower sum assured.

Q2. Yes, these assumptions are used to value the liabilities. Basically the entire flowchart in the tutorial concerns liabilities. The assets are simply valued at market value.

Q3. Chapter 17 is looking at the investment return assumption needed to value liabilities. We don't need any assumptions to value assets with an observable market price.

The key thing to remember about market-consistent valuations is they are trying to be consistent with market prices. So we always use market values for assets where we can.

In fact, in life insurance, we'd generally use the market value of assets even where we are not valuing liabilities in a market consistent way. I think what might be confusing you is Subject CP1 where it talks about valuing assets as discounted cashflows. While using discounted cashflows to value assets has been common to value defined benefit pensions, it's not something that's done in life insurance (at least not in the UK or in the exams).

Best wishes

Mark

5. N_Exam

Thank you Mr Willder,

That explained what I needed. Have a good weekend :):):cool: