1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Expense analysis

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Kiran, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Kiran

Kiran Keen member

Hi there

I have a question regarding expense analysis from the monitoring chapter.

I'm happy with overheads such that
    • Overhead expenses include general management , not explicitly affected by number of policies
    • as well as what these cover and how those are split

What im confused about are direct expenses, those that depend on policy volumes. Are these costs associated with selling business, and the admin costs in servicing those policies? Are these also split into a similar manner, i.e. costs are split in an appropriate manner
    - initial (which i assume would be underwriting and costs associated with selling the business such as development)
    -renewal (general admin stuff regarding policies)
    -termination expenses (i.e. dealing with claims themselves)?
    and then perhaps broken down into further cells?

Regards

Kiran

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Kiran

Yes, what you've said is right.

Direct costs can be the costs of selling the business (initial expenses), eg underwriting costs, initial policy documentation. But they can also be maintenance expenses (renewal expenses), eg reserving, annual statement to policyholders, premium collection. Or they could be termination expenses, eg claims processing.

There are a variety of techniques to then allocate these expenses to cells, eg timesheets for salaries, floorspace for rent.

Best wishes

Mark

3. Kiran

Kiran Keen member

Hi Mark
    Im still abit confused on how these direct costs are allocated. It makes sense when you have overheads as these are an aggregate costs and you can split them down to a product/type level.

But with direct costs, surely you know what products have incurred each cost. Unless for example the initial expenses are split by each product by volume numbers i.e. if initial expenses are 100 and if product 1 has 100 pols and product 2 has 50, then the initial expenses allocated to product 1 would be 100*(100/150), and then this could be broken down further based on RP/SP.

In which case im confused how they these direct costs would be broken down by overhead splits like timesheets for salaries, floorspace for rent. (or was this comment just in general)?

4. Mark Willder

Hi Kiran

I would say that allocating overhead expenses is much harder than allocating direct expenses. Direct expenses are quite easy to allocate to the correct product as, by definition, they directly relate to the product. It's not clear what approach to use with overheads, and so we often end up using a simple pragmatic approach (although which approach is actually used will vary between insurers).

An example may help. Let's say an underwriter is paid 1000 in a time period, and has worked on term assurances (TA), endowment assurances (EA) and whole life (WL). This is a direct expense. In this case it is clear that the underwriter's salary should be allocated to initial expenses, but we need to split it by product. We could do this with timesheets. Let's say they have spent 30% of their time on TA, 20% of their time on EA and 50% on WL. Then we allocate their salaries as 300, 200 and 500 to TA, EA and WL respectively.

Similarly we can use floorspace. Let's say the rent is 500 and 10% of the building is used by underwriters. So we have an initial expenses of 50. We could split this by products in the same proportions as the salaries. So 15, 10 and 25 to TA, EA and WL respectively.

Unfortunately timesheets are less likely to be of use to us for overheads. Consider the salaries of canteen staff, human resources and security. They do not work directly with products and so their timesheets won't help us to allocate their costs to particular products. For these we might need to use a simple pro rata approach as you suggest, splitting their costs in the ratio 100:50.

I hope these examples help.

Best wishes

Mark

5. Kiran

Kiran Keen member

Hi Mark

I think im ok with how these are split, i have a remaining question on what is classed as a direct expense as I assumed salary and rent were overheads, but is it a case they can be both?

So in your example for say salary. Would the company allocate the salaries of specific teams to begin with (which can be classed as a direct expense)i.e.
    Initial - underwriters etc
    Renewal - Admin who deal with policy maintenance etc
    Termination - Admin who deal with claims etc
    Which then get broken down at a product level.

Would the remaining salaries then essentially be an overhead? as they are not related to policies.

Regards

Kiran

6. Mark Willder

Hi Kiran

Yes, what you've written above looks right.

Chapter 30 at the bottom of page 15 says:

"Direct expenses are typically variable (ie they depend on either the volume of new business or the level of in-force business), but may be fixed to some extent.

For example, the amount of underwriting performed will depend on the number of applications that need to be underwritten, ie it is a variable cost. However, we wouldn’t expect to hire and fire underwriters on a daily basis depending on volumes, so underwriters’ salaries are a fixed expense at least in the short term."

So we'd say that underwriters' salaries are a fixed direct cost, while doctors' reports are variable direct. In contrast, the salaries of service departments are overheads.

Best wishes

Mark

7. Kiran

Kiran Keen member

Cheers. Makes sense now

Thanks Mark