1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

April 2014 Q3

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Kiran, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Kiran

Kiran Keen member

Hi
    In terms of the surrender value principles, what actually is "Avoids discontinuities by duration" just can't get my head round it.

and

for alterations using the equating policy values method, the examiner report says:
    "Basis chosen for pre and post alteration valuations will affect the amount of profit the company takes from contract at and after surrender date "

Is this because the policy values are essentially surrender values which can be done on different basis, and the profit is essentially [asset share- surrender value]?

Also quick question on Q4 of the same paper.
    Is there any reason why the solution for the annuity makes specific mention of matching the expenses with index linked bonds, but the solution for with-profits does not? I assume a separate expense reserve is probably held in both cases?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Kiran

A surrender value would have a discontinuity by duration if it suddenly changed at some point in time. So for example a surrender value of 200 before time 5 and 1,300 from time 5 has a discontinuity as it jumps substantially at time 5. The surrender value in the question does not have a discontinuity as it increases smoothly over time, increasing by just the amount of the premium paid at each time.

You are right that the profit on a surrender is the asset share less the surrender value. So the basis used to calculate the surrender value determines the profit.

The profit made on alteration is a bit more complicated though. If we use the equating policy values method we need to think about the profit made in the past and the profit made in the future. The equating policy values method equates the value of the old policy with the value of the new policy. The profit made in the past is the asset share minus the value of the old policy, so yes this part of the profit is just like the surrender value calculation you mentioned. But we also need to think about the profit on the new policy - we think of this just like pricing a new contract, so that if the basis used to value the new policy contains margins, then those margins will be expected to lead to profits in the future, but if the basis is best estimate (without margins) then there will be no profit from the new policy. The total profit from the altered contract is obtained by adding together the profit from the old contract and the profit from the new contract.

For question 4, I'd want to consider matching the expenses of both contracts with index-linked bonds. I'd then consider whether to mismatch using equities for higher returns (and bonuses) for the with-profits contract. We wouldn't usually hold separate reserves for expenses - reserves would be calculated in aggregate as the present value of claims plus expenses less premiums.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Mark

3. Kiran

Kiran Keen member

Thanks Mark