Question on Actuarial software (Life) AXIS v Prophet

Discussion in 'Careers' started by imho1, Jul 6, 2015.

1. imho1

imho1 Member

Hello,

I am currently working in a Canadian life firm which uses AXIS as its valuation software.

AXIS is a Canadian software and it is not widely used in the market I'm in. From what I know, only a handful of companies here use AXIS while most of the others use Prophet.

This is my first job (almost a year since I started) and hence the only actuarial software I've come into contact with. I'm concerned that my lack of experience in Prophet would limit my future options to quite a large extent.

I'm worried that say 3 years later, I'd probably be looking at senior analyst or assistant manager roles but I'd have zero experience with Prophet. Would that be an instant dealbreaker for most companies?

Are my concerns justified or am I just being paranoid?

I'd appreciate any comments that you may have. Thanks.

2. On a slightly different topic, does anybody know of what Solvency II (SCR) software exists in the market (doesn't have to be life/non-life specific, as presumably they'll cater for both/either types of business)?

Currently I'm aware of the following obvious (and a few not so obvious) ones:
    • Igloo (Willis Towers Watson)
    • Remetrica (Aon Benfield)
    • SCRIPT (Grant Thornton)
    • Barnett Waddingham (SIIMPLIFY)
    • Risk Explorer (URS)
    • Vega (Milliman)
    AA

3. Meher

Meher Member

Hi all,
    I am starting a new role which requires me to use AXIS.
    It would be great if anyone could help me out with training material, etc that is available out there.
    Regards,
    M

4. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Most of the training material available is limited to the ggy.com site so once you get your credentials, you should have access to basic training and more advance training as you go along. However, if you do some googling, some articles will pop up which may/may not be helpful.

Meher likes this.
  5. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

It may become an issue but I've heard that the skills you learn can translate across systems. If you're really very worried, I'd say change jobs to one where Prophet is used. Additionally, you're likely to find better answers to your questions on reddit since more canadian actuaries will be over there.