SA2 Acronyms

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Actuarily, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

I downloaded the Acted Acronym App but can’t see a filter for SA2. Could I check whether there are any acronyms for this subject? Or are the SP2/some CP1 acronyms the extent?

While I appreciate that acronyms aren’t as useful in the new exam format, I still found them helpful sitting the exams last year, particularly when practicing idea generation in attempting past papers.

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - there are a very small number of acronyms that are mentioned in the SA2 Online Classroom and in tutorials, but as you say these are of less relevance for open book exams. And yes, you could well find that some of the CP1 and SP2 acronyms remain useful for idea generation - like what companies need capital for and the list of sources of risk.

3. limamichelle

limamichelle Active Member

Can you give us a list of these SA2 acronyms?

I too find these useful even in open book exams, helping with idea generation.

4. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - we do not have an official list of SA2 acronyms. If you attend tutorials you may find some mentioned (depending on the tutor) and you will also find a small number included in the Online Classroom if you purchase access to that, since those units were recorded before the exams became open book.

The point of acronyms is to make idea generation lists easier to remember. There is now no need to remember such lists - you can have them next to you to reference from directly. In an open book environment, acronyms are significantly less useful - particularly since they are often somewhat contrived (eg rewording ideas in order to get enough vowels to make real words!).

Far better to have the original lists beside you for idea generation, such as the list of product design factors. The summaries at the end of each chapter are ideal for this and, from the latest version (ie for 2022 exams), have been designed for that purpose. Putting together your own additional lists is also a useful activity to undertaken, to help embed content.