Naming of the file: conflicting instructions from IFoA

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by yuli2513, Sep 12, 2021.

1. yuli2513

yuli2513 Very Active Member

Hi,

I am so sorry that I might be very late to discover this problem. I am hoping somebody might know the answer here.
    On page 32 of the examination handbook (https://www.actuaries.org.uk/system/files/field/document/Examination Handbook September 2021.pdf), it says:
    Your exam answer document file names must include:
    - ARN
    - Subject
    - Exam session
    - Paper
    e.g. 1234567_CS1A_September 2020_Paper 1.

However, on the subject specific instruction I downloaded from the online exam platform, it says:
    Once the examination has been completed, save the file using the following naming convention: Your ARN_Subject_September 2021.

This is really very confusing.
    Does anybody know what is the right naming here? Do we need to include the paper name? And whether it is Paper A or Paper 1 is also confusing to me.

2. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I think you only need to put eg Paper 1 if there is also a Paper 2.

3. Cas0121

Cas0121 Member

Hi, in previous exams I included a header/footer in my exam script with ARN_Exam_Session however the guidelines now suggest to not include ARN anywhere in the script but the name of the script - could someone confirm please?

Extract from exam handbook below:
    60. Information that can help markers to identify candidates must not be included in the content of the answer script itself (i.e. name, ARN, email address, etc.).

4. yuli2513

I asked IFoA about this, below is the quote of reply I received from them:
    "In the past we did ask you to put your ARN in the header/footer.
    We no longer need you to do this, so please do not include this information in your exam file, other than in the file name."

Good luck with your exam(s).

pjlee01, Trevor and mavvj like this.
  5. yuli2513

I would suggest you to write to education services as soon as possible, then you might still be able to save it (if needed) before the scripts go into the marking process.
    That said, I was a bit disappointed that IFoA did not highlight this as I personally consider this an important change of the examination regulations.

6. kze

kze Keen member

I just got a response from them (that was pretty quick!)
    Apparently my script will still be marked as long as it's saved and uploaded within the allocated time.

Yes I agree that they should have highlighted this. My heart almost fell when I thought I was going to be penalized.

yuli2513 likes this.